Do you still believe that U.S. Presidents are not above the law and that the 3 branches are equal?

Do you still believe that U.S Presidents are not above the law and the 3 branches if gov are equal?

• No the president is not above the law and the three branches remain equal in power.

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Yes, the above but I sure am wondering with this one.

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Yes, the've always had a different standard vs. the rest of us and precedence shows that.

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • We are in new territory; a possible constitutional crisis.

Votes: 11 61.1%

• Total voters
Jan 2016
Colorado
Trump or the US? There's a difference between them, you know. He's not a king.

BTW, two things regarding our longstanding relationship with SA. First, Obama was doing a lot to disrupt that relationship, particularly by lessening our all-out unremitting rejection of Iran on all levels. Iran and SA are the main antagonists in that region; being entirely in SA's camp has drawbacks, as the situation in Yemen shows. I think Obama's waffling on SA scared the crap out of Riyadh and they were desperate for us to change course.

Second thing--SA is a huge oil producer, and that's made them important since the end of WWII. But now WE are oil exporters. We don't need those guys anymore, at least not in the same way. The discovering of oil fields in ND (plus climate change) has completely changed our relationship to imported oil, and that changes our relationship to the whole region of the ME. It's still an important region geopolitically for the reasons it has always been--it's the crossroads of three continents. But ecomomically? We're finally in a position to tell all those sh*ts to go hang themselves. I halfway think we should.
Yes!! But I'm more than halfway to thinking that we should. I'm about three-quarters of the way there. :nerd:

highway234

Former Staff
Feb 2010
Where'm I At, Doe?
I don't think I'm a neoliberal. Pretty old school liberal, really. And by "we," I mean the United States. That's still "we" right? Or have we broken up into corporations rather than nation states already?
There's very little evidence at this point that the people in government behind these decisions are making them with my welfare or the welfare of anyone I know in mind. I'm good to them for my labor, my tax revenue, my acquiescence, and very little else.

Rasselas

Former Staff
Feb 2010
USA
There's very little evidence at this point that the people in government behind these decisions are making them with my welfare or the welfare of anyone I know in mind. I'm good to them for my labor, my tax revenue, my acquiescence, and very little else.
I'm sorry. In our democratic republic, we get the government we deserve because it's the one we select. If we make foolish choices, we do it together. Our status and identity as Americans transcends any elected government of the moment.

If you don't believe in your country, you either need to find a different one or change it...quick. Without it, we're lost. People don't keep nation states because they like them. They do it because there's no other safety from other nation states without it. If the nation state is ever replaced by something else, I fear it will be worse.

May 2012
By the wall
Really? Did he break a law? Which one?
We don't know but a special prosecutor should have been assigned to dig through his entire life and the lives of his entire administration to find any crime they ever have done.

You know, like they did with Trump.

You know, for that crime that Trump committed.....oh wait....he didn't.

Rasselas

Former Staff
Feb 2010
USA
We don't know but a special prosecutor should have been assigned to dig through his entire life and the lives of his entire administration to find any crime they ever have done.

You know, like they did with Trump.
The special prosecutor can only used when there are potential crimes to be prosecuted. Hence the name. Trump was part of an investigation into Russian interference with the election and any related crimes. He's being investigated by other agencies for other possible criminal actions. You can't call for a special prosecutor unless there's a potential crime to investigate. You surely know this. You aren't that thick.

Thus, I think this is an accurate translation of your post: WAAAAHHHHHH!

May 2012
By the wall
The special prosecutor can only used when there are potential crimes to be prosecuted. Hence the name. Trump was part of an investigation into Russian interference with the election and any related crimes. He's being investigated by other agencies for other possible criminal actions. You can't call for a special prosecutor unless there's a potential crime to investigate. You surely know this. You aren't that thick.

Thus, I think this is an accurate translation of your post: WAAAAHHHHHH!
The potential crime was the death of four Americans and if Obama was at fault for it.

Lying about it was the trigger they needed to launch an investigation.

highway234

Former Staff
Feb 2010
Where'm I At, Doe?
I'm sorry. In our democratic republic, we get the government we deserve because it's the one we select. If we make foolish choices, we do it together. Our status and identity as Americans transcends any elected government of the moment.

If you don't believe in your country, you either need to find a different one or change it...quick. Without it, we're lost. People don't keep nation states because they like them. They do it because there's no other safety from other nation states without it. If the nation state is ever replaced by something else, I fear it will be worse.
nicely said.

we're living in a dying empire. our input is neither needed nor sought. we're just another dying empire in many throughout history, and we'll turn out the same way as the others. nationalist appeals won't do much. but keep using them if it makes you feel better.

Rasselas

Former Staff
Feb 2010
USA
nicely said.

we're living in a dying empire. our input is neither needed nor sought. we're just another dying empire in many throughout history, and we'll turn out the same way as the others. nationalist appeals won't do much. but keep using them if it makes you feel better.
I'm hardly a nationalist. (You keep trying to label me; does it make you feel good?) But I do think highly of the Constitution. I'd rather we keep and honor it. If we're a dying empire, we should go down as ourselves, trying to embody the values that started everything.