Does Gregory/MeetThe Press signal the MSM's latest tactic? Birthers again?!?

Mar 2010
Near Austin TX
http://videocafe.crooksandliars.com/heather/john-boehner-still-pandering-birthers-its-
On this week's Meet the Press, after David Gregory played a portion of Frank Luntz's focus group following President Obama's State of the Union Address, John Boehner refused to take any responsibility for Republicans continuing to pander to the birther crowd.

House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) said Sunday that while he believes President Obama is an American citizen and a Christian, Americans have a right to think otherwise if they so choose.
"It's not my job to tell the American people what to think," Boehner said on NBC's "Meet The Press" when asked about a recent focus group of Iowa voters shown on Fox News during which several said they believe Obama is Muslim.
(cont)
Of course this particular brand of "site the birthers in the GOP" gotchas is all just political maneuvering. But so too, it certainly overlooks simple realities of politics and humanity. We all know the left has its own examples of the same brand of "lunacy". But rarely will the MSM press Democrats as Gregory does Boehner here. Or as Chris Matthews does weekly these days.

But this Boehner moment is interesting. First, the popular critique assumes birthers are genuinely mental, when, just like Code Pink, PETA or "Blood for Oil" folk, birthers are merely common poeple with little interest in honesty and articulation, and more interest in demonizing the enemy.

Second, the politician, in this case Boehner or the GOP, would be foolish to turn away votes by pronouncing common people "nutcases". Of course CBS and other networks would love nothing more.

And then there is one more truth in honesty that I have to prescribe to, but I bet few have considered...
How can Boehner honestly tell his constituents he knows the President is a citizen by birth and therefore they should put down such nonsense? He only knows what he hears in news reports. He can do nothing else but "take Obama at his word". And that is all any of us are doing with the President. It is all we do with eachother here. It is all I can do with my own parents or close friends lacking their ability to present original documents to my face. So it would be rather foolish for Boehner to tell his supporters that he knows without doubt that a particular person is a citizen when he really has no proof or knowledge of which to call on.

Personally, I take the President at his word. But I can't intelligently call you a nutter for wanting to believe he is not an American by birth.

MajikMyst

Former Staff
Mar 2010
Seattle Wa.
It is hypocritical for any republican to make the claim that it isn't their job to tell people what to think.. Beohner was on television countless times talking about death panels that didn't exist during the healthcare debate..

That is the issue.. It may not be his job.. But telling people what to think is the only way republicans can get elected..

Tedminator

Former Staff
Jun 2010
South Florida

NiteGuy

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Teardrop City
And then there is one more truth in honesty that I have to prescribe to, but I bet few have considered...
How can Boehner honestly tell his constituents he knows the President is a citizen by birth and therefore they should put down such nonsense? He only knows what he hears in news reports. He can do nothing else but "take Obama at his word". And that is all any of us are doing with the President. It is all we do with eachother here. It is all I can do with my own parents or close friends lacking their ability to present original documents to my face. So it would be rather foolish for Boehner to tell his supporters that he knows without doubt that a particular person is a citizen when he really has no proof or knowledge of which to call on.

Personally, I take the President at his word. But I can't intelligently call you a nutter for wanting to believe he is not an American by birth.
Sorry 'Caster, but this is a crap argument, and you know it.

Boehner and you are "willing to take the President's word on it"????

What about the Registrar of Documents in the state of Hawaii? You know, the one who issued the certified copy of Obama's birth certificate that's been in front of numerous reporters, appeared on national TV, and been posted on the internet since 2007?

Or how about the former Governor of Hawaii, a Republican, who says she has personally seen the so-called "long form" birth certificate and supporting documents on file with the Registrar's Office, and can attest to the fact that they are authentic.

Claiming to "only have the word of the President to go on" is bullshit. And it makes the fifty-one percent of Republicans who still refuse to acknowledge the fact of Obama's Hawaiian birth, to be either deliberate, contrarian assholes, or bat-shit crazy. Take your pick.

Mar 2010
Near Austin TX
It is hypocritical for any republican to make the claim that it isn't their job to tell people what to think.. Beohner was on television countless times talking about death panels that didn't exist during the healthcare debate..

That is the issue.. It may not be his job.. But telling people what to think is the only way republicans can get elected..
Seems you are introducing several other arguments that don't apply to the topic.

Mar 2010
Near Austin TX
latest poll indicates half of those that identify with the R party are bithers. ummm... :icon_ohyeah:

"But we have to say that's crazy. Those who say the president was born anywhere other than Hawaii are crazy."
-Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) Graham: Republicans must call birthers 'crazy' - The Hill's Blog Briefing Room

So it's official.. according to a Republican senator half of those in his own political party are crazy.
Nowhere in the link do I see Graham referring to an actual percentage ("half") of people. However, I will acknowledge that he was willing to give his opinion of those people. But Boehner is speaking from another side of the matter that in itself has validity. (as I will explain to NG)

Mar 2010
Near Austin TX
pssst btw.. Foxnews is part of the "MSM". Newscorp is about as main stream a media corporation can get.
Very well. Shall I then start referring to it as the pro-Obama administration media, or "POM"?

I much prefer to be clear in these discussions.

Mar 2010
Near Austin TX
Sorry 'Caster, but this is a crap argument, and you know it.

Boehner and you are "willing to take the President's word on it"????

What about the Registrar of Documents in the state of Hawaii? You know, the one who issued the certified copy of Obama's birth certificate that's been in front of numerous reporters, appeared on national TV, and been posted on the internet since 2007?

Or how about the former Governor of Hawaii, a Republican, who says she has personally seen the so-called "long form" birth certificate and supporting documents on file with the Registrar's Office, and can attest to the fact that they are authentic.

Claiming to "only have the word of the President to go on" is bullshit. And it makes the fifty-one percent of Republicans who still refuse to acknowledge the fact of Obama's Hawaiian birth, to be either deliberate, contrarian assholes, or bat-shit crazy. Take your pick.
I "take him at his word" precisely because I personaly have not sniffed out in detail all of the sources you cite. While I've seen a few headlines and news photos in passing, I have purposefully overlooked nearly all articles on the subject. Why? Because I think the accusation is groundless, and I think such sort of "conspiracy" is inconceivable. Therefore, I "take the President at his word". Based on the english language and American cultural norms, taking him at his word is precisely what I am doing when I call him an American citizen. (being intellectually honest)

But this all ignores my original intent. That is, the Gregory elements in the media, and those like yourself (I assume) beg Boehner to admonish these common people called "birthers" only because you hope they will turn away their support of the party in retalliation.

Finally, the hypocrisy your side (or in this case Gregory/MTP) shows here is where are they in beseaching Democrat politicians to admonish the "crazies" coming out of their side? Right...it doesn't happen.

Bluegrass

Former Staff
Apr 2007
How about "conspiracy theorist"? Because that is much more accurate, considering they are, indeed, CTs. I find little difference between Obama's "questionable" birthplace and the "moon hoax".