Does testosterone explain why more men are in math and science than women?

Sep 2019
Evolution's bosom
As mentioned before, testosterone has been observed to be the more "progressive" hormone, while estrogen the more ancient and primitive.

I think this explains why men are naturally more prevalent in math and science than women are, exceptions such as Marie Curie not being derived for their brilliance.

The "worth" of being in math and science as opposed to other professions and endeavours, such as entrepreneurship, sports, arts and so forth, likewise being a different debate topic entirely. One couldn't easily compare an opera singer such as Lucciano Pavoratti to a scientist such as Einstein.

Oct 2013
Sweden
As mentioned before, testosterone has been observed to be the more "progressive" hormone, while estrogen the more ancient and primitive.

I think this explains why men are naturally more prevalent in math and science than women are, exceptions such as Marie Curie not being derived for their brilliance.

The "worth" of being in math and science as opposed to other professions and endeavours, such as entrepreneurship, sports, arts and so forth, likewise being a different debate topic entirely. One couldn't easily compare an opera singer such as Lucciano Pavoratti to a scientist such as Einstein.
It turns out that isnt really true, or at least that the cause isnt about biology..its more how we TREAT THEM. They took a look at this accepted and tracked fact but they saw something different, the gap between men and woman on those issues werent consistently the same everywhere....the more inequality between the genders the wider the gap in this knowledge. IN the nation considered to have the MOST equality, Iceland, women are BETTER at math and science.

Great video discussing the more in depth look at this and its only 6 minutes and I find him fun to listen to.

Nov 2007
Prague, Czech Republic

How does this explain why men are more prevalent in maths and science? If you're thinking it's because testosterone is more recently evolved in the sense of being something to do with the evolution of modern humans, you're very wrong. Testosterone evolved hundreds of millions of years ago. It's the main male sex determining hormone in all mammals, reptiles, birds, amphibians and fish. It's less ancient that the estrogen-signalling system, but it's still very ancient.

Oct 2013
Sweden
Reactions: Dangermouse
May 2016
california
The connection between math and schizophrenia hasn't been fully explored.