Dogs are dying suddenly in Norway

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Norwegian authorities were advising dog owners to keep their pets from interacting with other dogs Tuesday, as hundreds of dogs were sickened by a mysterious — and potentially contagious — bowel disease that has turned deadly in a growing number of cases.

Post-mortem examinations have failed to provide answers, according to a statement Tuesday by the Norwegian Food Safety Authority. What was clear was that hundreds of dogs across Norway were exhibiting symptoms that included vomiting, diarrhea and fatigue.

As many as 200 dogs have suddenly fallen sick, Norway’s Veterinary Institute told Agence France-Presse.

Veterinarians in the Oslo area began reporting sick dogs to the Norwegian Food Safety Authority this month. Since then, dogs in Bergen on the west coast, in the northern municipality of Nordland and a dozen other towns have fallen sick. In a statement Tuesday, the food safety authority said that “a mixed culture” of two types of bacteria, Providencia alcalifaciens and Clostridium perfringens, was found in some dogs’ guts. The bacteria are sometimes associated with diarrhea in people as well as dogs.

It’s not yet clear how the illness is spreading, if it’s even contagious and whether the cases are related, according to authorities.

Dogs are dying suddenly in Norway | Boston.com

Sep 2016
My own world
Norwegian authorities were advising dog owners to keep their pets from interacting with other dogs Tuesday, as hundreds of dogs were sickened by a mysterious — and potentially contagious — bowel disease that has turned deadly in a growing number of cases.

Post-mortem examinations have failed to provide answers, according to a statement Tuesday by the Norwegian Food Safety Authority. What was clear was that hundreds of dogs across Norway were exhibiting symptoms that included vomiting, diarrhea and fatigue.

As many as 200 dogs have suddenly fallen sick, Norway’s Veterinary Institute told Agence France-Presse.

Veterinarians in the Oslo area began reporting sick dogs to the Norwegian Food Safety Authority this month. Since then, dogs in Bergen on the west coast, in the northern municipality of Nordland and a dozen other towns have fallen sick. In a statement Tuesday, the food safety authority said that “a mixed culture” of two types of bacteria, Providencia alcalifaciens and Clostridium perfringens, was found in some dogs’ guts. The bacteria are sometimes associated with diarrhea in people as well as dogs.

It’s not yet clear how the illness is spreading, if it’s even contagious and whether the cases are related, according to authorities.

Dogs are dying suddenly in Norway | Boston.com
Either the dogs are getting tainted dog food or tainted medications. lf any ingredient is made in China it's very possible.

Oct 2018
Somewhere they can't find me.
Either the dogs are getting tainted dog food or tainted medications. lf any ingredient is made in China it's very possible.
Beat me to it.

That's pretty much what I was thinking as well. There was an alert that went out about Chinese-made dog food ingredients early this summer. IIRC, the dogs that were sickened had symptoms similar to what was described above.

May 2019
A Van Down by the River...
I don't remember now where I heard the story....hmmmm... Maybe even Fox News, believe it or not, that dogs were dying from playing in waters that had an algae(?).

'Course food is always the first thing to look at.
Poor Norwegian pups.