Dogs help schools lick bullies

Aug 2010
See you in a new existence!
Interesting use of dogs to help school kids. It looks like its working too, but PETA will probably have a conniption and throw paint on the kids.

Dogs help schools lick bullies - USATODAY.com
No More Bullies teaches, with dogs' help, responsibility, compassion, self-control and integrity. Since its small launch five years ago, teachers and counselors have become so convinced of the positive impact on kids' behavior that it's booked into the 80-classroom max it can handle, and there's a long waiting list of requests for next year.

....The long-term effect on civility is indisputable, says Cheri Brown Thompson, founder of the Orangeburg, S.C.-based Healing Species, a decade-old program that uses rescued dogs in a 13-week classroom course. Independent research found suspensions decreased 55%, acts of aggression decreased 62% and acts of empathy increased 42% in classrooms where the 13-week, 1-hour-a-week curriculum had been presented, she says. Moreover, school officials report less bullying and violence "Even academic scores go up," she says, citing the group's studies comparing standardized test scores a year before and after the class. "The teacher is spending less time refereeing, and kids settle down better."
Dogs help schools lick bullies - USATODAY.com Photos

Reactions: EnigmaO01
Jun 2011
N/A
Interesting use of dogs to help school kids. It looks like its working too, but PETA will probably have a conniption and throw paint on the kids.

Dogs help schools lick bullies - USATODAY.com

Dogs help schools lick bullies - USATODAY.com Photos
Nice article, thanks for sharing.

Here more from the article:

"The animals are the glue that helps the children stay focused and understand the message," says Hearn. "Children can easily identify with an animal. And it's easy for them to transition when we ask them to consider how an animal feels (if ill treated) to how the kid sitting near them feels (if poorly treated)."

Reactions: Divine Wind
Aug 2010
The article surprised me. It's an example of a really simple solution to a really nasty and complex problem. A rarity since most complex problems require deeply layered and complex solutions.

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Nice.

In my school in Russia, if you were a boy and were bullied, there was only one place for you to go: boxing class

Still like that to this day... Over there, the best remedy for bullies hitting you is to hit back...

I think this is a much better way. I'd rather play with a dog then get punched around a ring for three hours... :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Divine Wind
Aug 2010
Nice.

In my school in Russia, if you were a boy and were bullied, there was only one plce for you to go: boxing class
A common remedy in several parts of the USA is Tae Kwon Do. It not only teaches a child how to defend themselves, but also instills discipline and responsibility, among other noble traits, in the student.

General Taekwondo Information - Ethics

Lifeskills School - Scarborough, ME- Tae Kwon Do - LifeSkills Learning Center - School of Tae Kwon Do,Saco, ME

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
The downside:

Some kid will allergic to dogs. He'll sneeze. Another kid will say "bless you".

That's when democracy falls apart and the steel toed boot of oppression comes down hard on these future little patriots.

Aug 2010
The downside:

Some kid will allergic to dogs. He'll sneeze. Another kid will say "bless you".

That's when democracy falls apart and the steel toed boot of oppression comes down hard on these future little patriots.
LOL. More likely it will be PETA which takes over the school and holds all of the kids hostages until all the animals are released from the shelters.