Domestic abusers should wear monitors

Jun 2011
God Bless Texas
I saw a discussion on this possibility and thought, gee, yeah, why don't we do that? We know that restraining orders don't keep them away.

If the Texas shooter was on one, he wouldn't have been allowed near the church his wife's family attended.

When will domestic abuse, which often ends in the death of the woman, and others sometimes, be truly taken seriously?

Reactions: 2 people
Apr 2017
America's Touque
I saw a discussion on this possibility and thought, gee, yeah, why don't we do that? We know that restraining orders don't keep them away.

If the Texas shooter was on one, he wouldn't have been allowed near the church his wife's family attended.

When will domestic abuse, which often ends in the death of the woman, and others sometimes, be truly taken seriously?
This is really not pausible, because in a lot of cases the abuser and the victim will both continue going back to each other, and it would just end up wasting a lot of time for law enforcement. It would be better to direct more money towards court ordered therapy. It is quite naive to think that only the abuser is drawn into the toxic relationship.

Reactions: 1 person
Jul 2017
US
This is really not pausible, because in a lot of cases the abuser and the victim will both continue going back to each other, and it would just end up wasting a lot of time for law enforcement. It would be better to direct more money towards court ordered therapy. It is quite naive to think that only the abuser is drawn into the toxic relationship.
True, the reality is that some people are masochists and enjoy the dependency even if the 'abuse' goes along with it.

Jun 2011
God Bless Texas
Skowhegan ‘speak-out’ brings awareness to domestic violence A candlelight vigil and panel discussion Wednesday night focused on the success of an electronic monitoring system for defendants accused of domestic violence offenses in Somerset County.BY RACHEL OHM STAFF WRITERrohm[MENTION=4895]cen[/MENTION]tralmaine.com | [MENTION=1256]rachel[/MENTION]_ohm | 207-612-2368Share CommentKathleen Dumont, left, of Kennebec Valley Behavioral Health, lights a candle for Somerset County Sheriff’s Office domestic violence investigator Mike Pike, right, and

SKOWHEGAN — It’s been just over one year since the Somerset County Sheriff’s Office started using electronic ankle bracelets to track domestic violence offenders, and those involved with the project say so far it’s been successful.

In the last year, the electronic monitoring bracelets, which alert law enforcement if a defendant enters a prohibited area, such as a victim’s home or workplace, have been used in 15 cases, including eight domestic violence cases.

“It’s given us a tremendous tool to keep track of domestic violence offenders, especially serial offenders who seem to victimize the same person over again and over again,” said Mike Pike, a domestic violence investigator for the Somerset County District Attorney’s Office, referring to the bracelets.

https://judiciallink.com/blog/2015/10/16/gps-ankle-monitor-on-domestic-violence-offenders/

Sep 2012
SoCal
Just ban marriage and that would solve the problem.
Marriage is not required...

Domestic violence (also named domestic abuse, battering, or family violence) is a pattern of behavior which involves violence or other abuse by one person against another in a domestic setting, such as in marriage or cohabitation. It may be termed intimate partner violence when committed by a spouse or partner in an intimate relationship against the other spouse or partner, and can take place in heterosexual or same-sex relationships, or between former spouses or partners. Domestic violence may also involve violence against children or the elderly. It takes a number of forms, including physical, verbal, emotional, economic, religious, reproductive, and sexual abuse, which can range from subtle, coercive forms to marital rape and to violent physical abuse such as choking, beating, female genital mutilation and acid throwing that results in disfigurement or death. Domestic murders include stoning, bride burning, honor killings, and dowry deaths.

Globally, the victims of domestic violence are overwhelmingly women, and women tend to experience more severe forms of violence. In some countries, domestic violence is often seen as justified, particularly in cases of actual or suspected infidelity on the part of the woman, and is legally permitted. Research has established that there exists a direct and significant correlation between a country's level of gender equality and rates of domestic violence. Domestic violence is among the most underreported crimes worldwide for both men and women. Due to social stigmas regarding male victimization, men face an increased likelihood of being overlooked by healthcare providers.

Domestic violence occurs when the abuser believes that abuse is acceptable, justified, or unlikely to be reported. It may produce intergenerational cycles of abuse in children and other family members, who may feel that such violence is acceptable or condoned. Very few people recognize themselves as abusers or victims because they may consider their experiences as family disputes that just got out of control. Awareness, perception, definition and documentation of domestic violence differs widely from country to country. Domestic violence often happens in the context of forced or child marriage.

In abusive relationships, there may be a cycle of abuse during which tensions rise and an act of violence is committed, followed by a period of reconciliation and calm. Victims of domestic violence may be trapped in domestic violent situations through isolation, power and control, cultural acceptance, lack of financial resources, fear, shame, or to protect children. As a result of abuse, victims may experience physical disabilities, chronic health problems, mental illness, limited finances, and poor ability to create healthy relationships. Victims may experience psychological problems, such as post-traumatic stress disorder. Children who live in a household with violence often show psychological problems from an early age, such as dysregulated aggression which may later contribute to continuing the legacy of abuse when they reach adulthood.

Domestic violence

Reactions: 4 people
Jun 2011
God Bless Texas
Women have stalkers all the time that were not husbands. In the case of my two now dead friends, they were married. One of them did completely walk away, she was no masochist or anything of the sort. He went to her house and shot her and her new boyfriend in the heads.

The other one did fail to 'leave him alone' as my Dad put it. Soft heart. He needed work. He re-payed her kindness by hacking her with a knife in her place of work. If he had a gun he might have sprayed the office. He then took a random woman hostage in her home in a stand-off with police, attempting to evade arrest.

Had he had an ankle monitor, it would have gone off as he got near her office that day. Her key fob would have told her he was near and she could have left. She gave him work, but she wouldn't have consented to her coming around her.

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Sounds like a good idea :)

I would also require cops to arrest the abuser regardless of the victim initially maybe changing her mind and not wanting him to go to jail, as often happens. Take him away from her, for her own good.

Jun 2011
God Bless Texas
Sounds like a good idea :)

I would also require cops to arrest the abuser regardless of the victim initially maybe changing her mind and not wanting him to go to jail, as often happens. Take him away from her, for her own good.
Victims cannot change their mind anymore about pressing charges. At least in Texas, the man (or woman) is going to jail regardless. It's when they get out there is still a problem.

If fact I am just about to go to the store where I will have to inquire after a friend who works there. She got an alert that he is in the city and he called the other night to ask if she was there. Someone who didn't know the situation said yes, please hold, and he hung up.

I'm sure security took her to her car and she will be there alive tonight but the fucked up thing is I can't really be sure of that.

Czernobog

Former Staff
Dec 2011
Phoenix, AZ

The problem is that, unfortunately, restraining orders are also weaponised. When I was living in South Carolina, I had an acquaintance going through a divorce with a rather unpleasant custody battle. One night, as he was dropping his kids of from a visitation, his wife called the cops, and told them he was hitting her. he told her to "Fuck off", and went home. The next day, she went to court, and had a restraining order issued, using the false police report as her "evidence". he wasn't even informed there was a hearing, let alone allowed to attend to speak in his own defence. He wasn't allowed to see his own kids for a year-and-a-half, because she refused to allow hi to meet up with them, and he could come within 100 feet (or whatever that restriction is) of her.

So, while I agree that domestic abuse should be taken more seriously, I would also submit that restraining orders should require a bit more than just, "Because she said it happened,"