Donald J. Trump and White Privilege.

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
Remember, Trump cast himself as the smart one, the deserving one, the White One, by contrasting himself with Obama. He not only asserted that Obama was born in Africa but used the trope that Obama was simply an affirmative-action baby. How else could a black guy get into Columbia University and Harvard Law School, then assume leadership of the Harvard Law Review?

It pains me to say this, but I remember even some of my liberal friends—the ones who were ardent Hillary supporters in 2008—questioned how Obama got on Harvard Law Review. Channeling Trump, consciously or not, one friend said, “Yeah, I’d like to check his transcript!”

So why aren’t more people asking the same question of Trump now? I, for one, am curious.

Is the revelation that Trump went to such ridiculous lengths to hide his academic and intellectual inferiority enough for us to stop giving white privileged men the presumption of superiority?
Trump's SAT Scores, Big Law and White Privilege | The American Lawyer
The black guy fails to wear a lapel pin and endures months of questions about whether he belongs. The white guy canoodles with Russia, insults the intelligence community, undermines the judiciary and makes a Gold Star widow cry, dismissing her husband’s sacrifice as, apparently, just one of those things.

And though he is reviled for it, no poll asks whether he shows “the proper patriotism” and there is no accusation of otherness. Even at a level of awfulness bordering on sedition, his American-ness, his “one of us-ness,” is a taken-for-granted thing. Meantime, football players are asked to reassure us they love America.

Donald Trump is thus the poster boy for white privilege, including the privilege of being terrible. And yes, some will look at this and see no unfairness, nor cause for anger or despair. That’s no surprise.
Donald Trump, the poster boy for white privilege

“President Trump’s Justice Department has hardly been worthy of its name,” said Sherrilyn A. Ifill, president and director-counsel of the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund. “It has retreated from meaningful police reform, argued on behalf of state laws that suppress minority voting rights, directed prosecutors to seek harsh sentences for nonviolent drug offenses, and extended the federal government’s power to seize the property of innocent Americans.”

Ifill continued: “Each of these steps disproportionately and systematically burdens people of color, denying them their constitutional rights and widening the racial divides that this country has struggled for so long to close.”
Under Trump, Justice Department Resumes Fight for White Privilege

seems like enough information to provide for a spirited discussion on "white privilege" in the age of Trump. Yall play nice now.

K?

Last edited:
Dec 2018
Florida
So if we don’t question trump it is racist and white privilege? I don’t question why trump got where he did. But it isn’t his race. It is because of his wealth.

If you put me up against a rich black man, I’m betting the rich black guy will do a shit load better than this white boy. Getting in to elite colleges or whatever. Money buys priviledge. Not race.

Mar 2019
Down a back road turn south on a gravel drive
There is something called Social Justice now. It's a very nice privilege to have. If you're gay and black like Jussie Smollet, you can get 16 felonies wiped off your slate clean, and the NAACP will maybe even give you an award. Even OJ Simpson got away with double murder if you can prove the cops said a bad word. That is social justice.

Jul 2011
NYC/Москва

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
Thinking a privileged minority getting preferential treatment proves white privilege is a myth would be as stupid as arguing that a murder committed by a US citizen proves that immigrants never kill anyone.

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
There is something called Social Justice now. It's a very nice privilege to have. If you're gay and black like Jussie Smollet, you can get 16 felonies wiped off your slate clean, and the NAACP will maybe even give you an award. Even OJ Simpson got away with double murder if you can prove the cops said a bad word. That is social justice.
you might benefit from reading the "White Privilege" link that was provided in the OP. It explains how white privilege isn't racism. However , it exist because of historic, enduring racism and biases. Your comments are a pristine example of that. You're under the impression that ,just because you can name two African American's whom you think got away with crimes , that all African American's and Gays benefit from some sort of privilege. The fact of the matter is nothing could be further from the truth. If you live in America then you benefit for social justice. Name who it is exactly that you feel doesn't?