Donald Trump, Enemy Of Free Markets

RNG

Jan 2015
Left coast
I thought I had started a thread on this myself and it died a rapid death.

I hadn't seen this one before. Interesting to me that this is one thing that even The Blaze would criticize. It must really be bad for that group of fluffers to criticize their messiah.

Oct 2014
C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
Donald Trump is waging war on free markets in the energy sector. His brilliant plan, a perfect example of the kind of hare-brained centralized economic planning we used to see right out of the Kremlin in the 'glory' days of the sickly Soviet economy, is to force American consumers to pay higher energy prices, in order to subsidize and forcibly keep open, failing coal-fired power plants that would otherwise be going out of business:

https://www.theblaze.com/news/2018/...-to-stop-closure-of-coal-nuclear-power-plants

Here is an interesting quote: "Unprecedented government intervention in the energy markets to support high-cost generation will hurt consumers by taking more money out of their pockets rather than letting them keep more of what they earn," said Todd Snitchler of the American Petroleum Institute, the top lobbying group of the oil and gas industry. [So it is not just the renewable energy industry that finds this kind of support for the failing coal industry to be stupid policy!]

Forcing American taxpayers to bailout uneconomical power plants is an assault on free market principles, if there ever was one!

The Wall Street Journal had a few more details in the Saturday edition. Malcolm Woolf oversees policy at Advanced Energy Economy, a trade group representing business consumers. He said: "The Administration's plan to federalize the electric power system is an exercise in crony capitalism taken solely for the benefit of a bankrupt power-plant owner and its coal supplier." Mr. Trump received millions of dollars in campaign contributions from coal company executives.

And, of course, with his even more consequential tariff policies, Donald Trump is on an even larger scale, an enemy of economic freedom more generally.
Beck has said the same thing about Obama... Except that got cheers.

Try the 40000 ft view. Maybe you'll see the strategy going on.

For perspective; the corruption has been built over decades, and is being safely demolished brick by brick so it can be rebuilt on what few good foundations remain to be more equitable for all...

Jan 2016
Colorado
Beck has said the same thing about Obama... Except that got cheers.

Try the 40000 ft view. Maybe you'll see the strategy going on.

For perspective; the corruption has been built over decades, and is being safely demolished brick by brick so it can be rebuilt on what few good foundations remain to be more equitable for all...
I remember an old philosophy professor of mine. He would have said that what you wrote right there was a bunch of bafflegab. That was the word he liked to use when people were just trying to obfuscate issues with a bunch of high-falutin' words that didn't really make any sense at all. You are very good at that sort of thing, and I think you've been practicing the art for a very long time.

Oct 2014
C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
I remember an old philosophy professor of mine. He would have said that what you wrote right there was a bunch of bafflegab. That was the word he liked to use when people were just trying to obfuscate issues with a bunch of high-falutin' words that didn't really make any sense at all. You are very good at that sort of thing, and I think you've been practicing the art for a very long time.
You are still stuck underestimating what trump is doing.

So, start tariffs, reduce taxes, more tariffs, reduce taxes. More tariffs, eliminate income tax.... You can extrapolate from there.

Feb 2011
The formerly great golden state
Bumping this thread, as I am again encountering uninformed posters who seem to think that Donald Trump is the 'savior' of free market capitalism. Gosh, he's nothing of the kind.
Trump is all about Trump, nothing more and nothing less.

The partisan Republicans who seem to think he's good for the party are about to find out how wrong they were. Having been taken in by a conman and fraud is not going to help the party any more than it's helping the country.

Sep 2013
On a hill
One hundred people have now viewed this thread, and yet not a single supporter of Donald Trump has chosen to even attempt a defense of his assault on free markets.

Isn't that interesting?

WHERE oh WHERE are the Republicans here? WHY have the Republicans abandoned the free market principles that their party so long adhered to? Have they ALL converted to Trumpism, to no principle deeper than loyalty to this one deeply misguided and corrupt man, Donald J. Trump?

What has happened to the Grand Old Party of Lincoln, Teddy Roosevelt, Dwight D. Eisenhower, and Ronald Reagan?

They are all turning over in their graves!
How do tariffs fit with free market thinking?

Under trumps brilliant leadership, our trade deficit with China has increased 17%.