Donald Trump Jr. Heckled Off Stage by Right-Wing Protesters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
Yes, you read that right. And to complicate things, this happened at UCLA.

Donald Trump Jr ventured on to the University of California’s overwhelmingly liberal Los Angeles campus on Sunday, hoping to prove what he had just argued in his book – that a hate-filled American left was hell-bent on silencing him and anyone else who supported the Trump presidency.

But the appearance backfired when his own supporters, diehard Make America Great Again conservatives, raised their voices most loudly in protest and ended up drowning him out barely 20 minutes into an event scheduled to last two hours.

The audience was angry that Trump Jr and his girlfriend, Kimberly Guilfoyle, would not take questions. The loud shouts of “USA! USA!” that greeted Trump when he first appeared on the stage of a university lecture hall to promote his book Triggered: How The Left Thrives on Hate and Wants to Silence Us quickly morphed into even louder, openly hostile chants of “Q and A! Q and A!”

The 450-strong audience had just been told they would not be allowed to ask questions, “due to time constraints”.
Source - The Guardian

Based on text later in the article, there is a growing "factional rift" among the Trump-supporting conservative right. On the one since, you have Turning Point USA, a group responsible for bringing provocative rightwing speakers to liberal universities. And then, you have the "far-right activists" a.k.a. "white supremacists and neo-Nazis," - who believe in "slamming the door on all immigrants, not just those who cross the border without documents, and who want an end to America’s military and diplomatic engagement with the wider world."

I don't want to overquote the article so I'm summarizing. I suggest reading the full text.

Oct 2019
Earth

Source - The Guardian

Based on text later in the article, there is a growing "factional rift" among the Trump-supporting conservative right. On the one since, you have Turning Point USA, a group responsible for bringing provocative rightwing speakers to liberal universities. And then, you have the "far-right activists" a.k.a. "white supremacists and neo-Nazis," - who believe in "slamming the door on all immigrants, not just those who cross the border without documents, and who want an end to America’s military and diplomatic engagement with the wider world."

I don't want to overquote the article so I'm summarizing. I suggest reading the full text.
Please, posts like this are simply adding to the rift growing between left and right. If you do not wish to empathize with the other side to examine their positions, then we get this type of misunderstanding.

Neo-nazis and white supremacists MIGHT be a 0.001% of conservatives. That type of blanket claim on the whole is not going to serve in what is desired, to pull support away.

Rifts like this are useful, but NOT when you use it as a chance for slander.

StanStill

Former Staff
Dec 2013
Work
Please, posts like this are simply adding to the rift growing between left and right. If you do not wish to empathize with the other side to examine their positions, then we get this type of misunderstanding.

Neo-nazis and white supremacists MIGHT be a 0.001% of conservatives. That type of blanket claim on the whole is not going to serve in what is desired, to pull support away.

Rifts like this are useful, but NOT when you use it as a chance for slander.
This really doesn't have anything to do with the OP, which is about Trump Jr. refusing to take questions from the audience. He said it was because of time constraints, but then after being pushed he tipped his hand and admitted he "didn't want to give soundbites to the leftist media." I think "didn't want people to hear the batshit things their groupies will ask, or want to attempt to answer them as though they are thoughtful questions," is probably even closer to the truth. Can't they just be nodding cheerleaders like they are supposed to be?

Still though, I do have to commend the crowd for demanding a Q&A period. I'm sure moving forward, lack of Q&A will be announced right before they leave the stage and jump into a car.

0.001%? How did you come up with that?

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
Please, posts like this are simply adding to the rift growing between left and right.
I disagree... For every bona-fide neo-nazi / white supremacist, there are dozens of conservatives that don't necessarily share their sentiments, but would gladly look the other way as long as the nazis are voting Republican.

Presumably, there are some Republicans out there who are still willing to disavow such reprehensible people, even if it means losing their votes.

Davocrat

Former Staff
Apr 2007
Orangemanbad

Source - The Guardian

Beat you to it. Please merge.

Reactions: Djinn
Feb 2010
between Moon and NYC

Source - The Guardian

May want to merge...

Oct 2019
Earth
This really doesn't have anything to do with the OP, which is about Trump Jr. refusing to take questions from the audience. He said it was because of time constraints, but then after being pushed he tipped his hand and admitted he "didn't want to give soundbites to the leftist media." I think "didn't want people to hear the batshit things their groupies will ask, or want to attempt to answer them as though they are thoughtful questions," is probably even closer to the truth. Can't they just be nodding cheerleaders like they are supposed to be?

Still though, I do have to commend the crowd for demanding a Q&A period. I'm sure moving forward, lack of Q&A will be announced right before they leave the stage and jump into a car.

0.001%? How did you come up with that?
The number was arbitrary, white supremacists are such an extreme minority that people have to be seeking out examples to find any, or add in meaning of their own.

What is more common is "in group preference" where people tend to prefer to hang around people who are like themselves.

Taking that to frame as white supremacy just takes away from the hatred these groups represent.

Remember, 2016 Clinton called all those who do not support her as "deplorable". That harmed her results. Let's not make the same mistake next time.

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
Closing thread in deference to existing thread:

Status
Not open for further replies.