Don't Be Terrorized By Your Government This Fourth of July

Apr 2015
Seattle
As Americans prepare to celebrate Independence Day, officials in the FBI and the Department of Homeland Security are warning us that there's a heightened threat of Islamist terrorist attacks. CNN is reporting that law enforcement officials believe that the Islamist threat is "the highest in years." CIA deputy director turned CBS security analyst Michael Morrell declared, "I wouldn't be surprised if we're sitting here a week from today talking about an attack over the weekend in the United States. That's how serious this is."

Fourth of July terror warning issued by FBI, Homeland Security

Authorities warn of possible terror threats - CNNPolitics.com

So just how "serious" is the risk?

We all need to keep in mind that terror only works if you let it.
The plain fact is that terrorism does not remotely threaten the existence of the United States.

May 2012
By the wall
At least we don't use that stupid color code terror threat thing anymore.

As for the threats.......well they have warned us of that many times but I have faith our government agencies are on it. Will we get hit again? Of course but you are right, we shouldn't live in fear of it.

Apr 2015
Seattle
At least we don't use that stupid color code terror threat thing anymore.

As for the threats.......well they have warned us of that many times but I have faith our government agencies are on it. Will we get hit again? Of course but you are right, we shouldn't live in fear of it.
Meanwhile 49% of Americans say in a recent Gallup Poll that they are very to somewhat worried that they or a family member will become a victim of terrorism
GallupTerrorismPoll.jpg

Oct 2013
USA
I doubt anyone thinks it threatens the existence of the US. It is a love/hate that there are security measures for large groups and high profile functions who can be a very tempting target not matter what reason someone gives for doing something unthinkable.

The personal risk to me or to you is low as this is a huge country. But personal risk means nothing if a slaughter anywhere in America is successful. If it was just about my personal risk I'd probably agree with you. It is a new reality we're living.

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
Could you imagine the reaction of some if, God forbid, there is a terrorist attack and the government had mentioned nothing about a threat?

RNG

Former Staff
Jan 2015
Left coast
Someone paid to make a news story exciting makes a news story exiting. Wow.

The problem I see is this type of thing leading to a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation down the road.

Jul 2014
Border Fence
There will be at least 1000 fatalities on American roads related to alcohol this 4th of July.

If we all took drinking and driving as serious a threat as ISIS we could bring those numbers down.

Sep 2007
N48 51.489 E2 17.67119
As Americans prepare to celebrate Independence Day, officials in the FBI and the Department of Homeland Security are warning us that there's a heightened threat of Islamist terrorist attacks. CNN is reporting that law enforcement officials believe that the Islamist threat is "the highest in years." CIA deputy director turned CBS security analyst Michael Morrell declared, "I wouldn't be surprised if we're sitting here a week from today talking about an attack over the weekend in the United States. That's how serious this is."

Fourth of July terror warning issued by FBI, Homeland Security

Authorities warn of possible terror threats - CNNPolitics.com

So just how "serious" is the risk?

We all need to keep in mind that terror only works if you let it.
The plain fact is that terrorism does not remotely threaten the existence of the United States.
I would say the risk of some nut with a gun shooting up some gathering is pretty high. Of course you could argue this is America, where is some nut going to get a gun?