Don't Believe the Hype : The Nixon Impeachment Inquiry Commenced Without A Full House of Representatives Vote.

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
I find no such authority.
SEC. 103. Separate orders.

(a) Deposition authority.—
(1) During the One Hundred Sixteenth Congress, the chair of a standing committee (other than the Committee on Rules), and the chair of the Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence, upon consultation with the ranking minority member of such committee, may order the taking of depositions, including pursuant to subpoena, by a member or counsel of such committee.

Jul 2011
Tennessee
they voted on January 09, 2019 in the full House of Representatives to adopt the current rules - including the procedures for commencement of an impeachment investigation . They have been conducting an impeachment inquiry for some time , taking incremental steps . Taking a vote now serves no procedural purpose what so ever . And expecting the House to proceed under the same rules as when Nixon was president is as absurd as expecting Congress to adopt wearing bell bottoms as their dress code.
This isn't true. Those are general rules of the house.

There's no mention of impeachment I saw in the rules.

Jul 2013
Nashville, TN

The House has the authority to make its own rules within the constitution, the rules they made when they took the majority in Jan are being followed to the letter, Trump has no say so in those rules as long as they are not outside the constitution.

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more

you haven't posted what ever it is you're looking at . Plus your argument is all over the place . If it's as you say , with no rules regarding impeachment, then on what basis are you claiming there needs to be a vote to commence an impeachment inquiry ? What I posted are the rules that were voted on in the full house and adopted on January 09, 2019 giving the chairs of various committees the authority to issue subpoenas and conduct dispositions. Which , as you've correctly stated , are the general HOR rules . They didn't have that general authority before a vote either during the Nixon or Clinton impeachments . So again , you're just arguing against your own claims . If were a procedural precedent why wouldn't it be in the HOR rules ?

Last edited:
Jul 2011
Tennessee
you haven't posted what ever it is you're looking at . Plus your argument is all over the place . If it's as you say , with no rules regarding impeachment, then on what basis are you claiming there needs to be a vote to commence an impeachment inquiry ? What I posted are the rules that were voted on in the full house and adopted on January 09, 2019 giving the chairs of various committees the authority to issue subpoenas and conduct dispositions. Which , as you've correctly stated , are the general HOR rules . They didn't have that general authority before a vote either during the Nixon or Clinton impeachments . So again , you're just arguing against your own claims . If were a procedural precedent why wouldn't it be in the HOR rules ?
The republicans had the same power when they held the house.

There's a process to follow for an impeachment inquiring. That process was followed for Nixon. That's clearly stated in the wiki link.

What's Pelosi afraid of in having an impeachment inquiry vote? Because It will appear to be a partisan witch hunt and she knows the case is very weak for impeachment.

The vote for the inquiry for Nixon was 410-4 in the house.

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
The republicans had the same power when they held the house.

There's a process to follow for an impeachment inquiring. That process was followed for Nixon. That's clearly stated in the wiki link.

What's Pelosi afraid of in having an impeachment inquiry vote? Because It will appear to be a partisan witch hunt and she knows the case is very weak for impeachment.

The vote for the inquiry for Nixon was 410-4 in the house.
The current congress should go back in time and adopt the rules from 45 years ago ? Is that really your argument ? Should they adopt the same hairstyles , clothing , and lingo of the 70's too?

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
Conceded the points I made.
you're just posting gibberish . Congress had a special prosecutors investigating Nixon before a House vote on impeachment . That's what the Saturday Night Massacre was all about . So what point is it that you're suppose to be making ? You're not arguing any procedures should be followed except a vote on the inquiry .

Last edited:
Dec 2015
In Your Heart!
This is such a stupid “tactic”. I don’t know what it is they think they are going to accomplish with this.

There are 226 representatives on record who support the inquiry. If Pelosi were to hold a vote when they returned from recess, it would pass easily. And then what would they cry about?

This is getting very Nixony. Do whatever you can to keep the information from congress/special council and obstruct justice
You got it!

Dec 2015
In Your Heart!
This is such a stupid “tactic”. I don’t know what it is they think they are going to accomplish with this.

There are 226 representatives on record who support the inquiry. If Pelosi were to hold a vote when they returned from recess, it would pass easily. And then what would they cry about?

This is getting very Nixony. Do whatever you can to keep the information from congress/special council and obstruct justice
Excellent!