"Don't tell me it doesn't work -- torture works"

Sep 2014
South FL
We're not talking about, "what would you do if a family member's life was in peril?"
Yes, we are, we're discussing the stakes, because if the stakes are high enough, torture becomes justified. We're discussing necessity. There are many factual circumstances when sufficient necessity would exist to justify, excuse or mitigate torture. An example typically used is the 'ticking time bomb' example.

Last edited:
Sep 2013
On a hill
We're discussing necessity. There are many factual circumstances when sufficient necessity would exist to justify, excuse or mitigate torture. An example typically used is the 'ticking time bomb' example.

We're discussing the POTUS saying we're going to bring back torture because it works.
Just another variation of the 'ticking time bomb' scenario typically employed.
[/QUOTE]

Then we have no standing when it comes to objecting to our people being tortured.

Reactions: Babba and Panzareta
Sep 2014
South FL
Then we have no standing when it comes to objecting to our people being tortured.
Yes, we do. Of course they too can try to plead necessity.

"If the stakes are high enough, torture is permissible. No one who doubts that this is the case should be in a position of responsibility. If torture is the only means of obtaining the information necessary to prevent the detonation of a nuclear bomb in Times Square, torture should be used — and will be used — to obtain the information." Richard Posner -- Review-a-Day - Why Terrorism Works Understanding The by Alan M Dershowitz, reviewed by The New Republic Online - Powell's Books

Last edited:

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Weirdo
Shit. I'm glad to hear you found people on the internet who even know what "rule of law" means. Never mind think it's a good thing, or that it should be given any attention.

It's rare I do.
Well, in America if you are a complete "dumb shit" you can just Google rule of law and be an expert.

/snap

like that.

</sarcasm>

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
That's what the current President of the United States says.

I've been arguing with right-wingers on the internet for 16 years. Up until now, they were always telling me about how America is better than other countries and how we believe in the rule of law.

What changed?

There are some that still do. Not all GOP, not all conservatives and not all "right-wingers" are scumbag #TrumpEnablers. But the ones who are have turned out to be pretty revolting.

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Weirdo
There are some that still do. Not all GOP, not all conservatives and not all "right-wingers" are scumbag #TrumpEnablers. But the ones who are have turned out to be pretty revolting.
Well said. I hope people can understand that. It isn't extreme to ride the middle. The middle is where isle and isle work together.

People forget that.

Kudos my man.