"Don't tread on me" flag taken up... by Russian liberals?!

Jul 2013
U.S.A.
Racism is just another Chinese hoax.
C'mon... People who talk about racism are the real racists. Everybody knows that.

As for the "true" meaning of symbols, well, I tried explaining to my neighbors that the swastika flag I had flying from my porch was nothing more than an homage to Native American spiritual beliefs. Or Buddhism... Or Hinduism... Over and over again I tried to explain. But no matter how many times I castigated folks for their ignorance, I kept getting all sorts of negative feedback. Like rocks through windows... Finally I gave up and took it down.

Damned provincial ignoramuses...

Cheers.

Jul 2018
North Carolina
As for the Gadsden Flag, you'll most often see it flown alongside the Confederate battle flag and/or the Bonny Blue around here. Regardless of what it means to others, I know what it means to my neighbors who fly it in their front yards.
Here in rural NC, especially around July 4th, I see many people flying the Confederate Flag alongside the United States flag on the back of their pick up trucks. That doesn't mean the American flag should be considered a racist symbol right? Of course not.

Reactions: The Man
Jun 2014
United States
Here in rural NC, especially around July 4th, I see many people flying the Confederate Flag alongside the United States flag on the back of their pick up trucks. That doesn't mean the American flag should be considered a racist symbol right? Of course not.

No. All kinds of people fly the US flag.

As for the others? Not so universal. We can pretend that they have no meaning, if it makes us feel less guilty somehow.

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
At yesterday's demonstration

:D

To be fair, there were tens of thousands there, biggest protest since 2011-12; with all kinds of flags; even an LGBT group with their rainbows (and nobody touched them!)

On the other hand, a couple of the protesters had a Ukrainian flag, and that one DID start a minor scuffle with some nationalist guy, who tore that flag away from them

And Putin, meanwhile, went off to Crimea, to ride around with his biker buddies

:rolleyes:

Reactions: Akosikojak
Jul 2018
North Carolina
No. All kinds of people fly the US flag.

As for the others? Not so universal. We can pretend that they have no meaning, if it makes us feel less guilty somehow.
Maybe, and TBF I can somewhat see your angle / viewpoint on this. However, the US flag was flown during American slavery days, but we don't look at the stars and stripes in that context now, and rightfully so. If we only look at one side of things, and not the other, then obviously we only see the side we want to see.

Not to go off on another tangent / or derail, but LOL.

In another thread there was a post about a German magazine (Stern) with President Trump wrapped up in an American Flag flashing a Nazi Salute, and something about Sein Kampf (His Struggle). Personally I thought it was in very poor taste to take a symbol (US Flag which is something very dear to me), and use it in such a tasteless fashion. To me it also belittled the Holocaust, and is an insult to those good Jewish people who lived through that horrific event.
That article piece could / does give the impression that America, as a whole, is a racist nation. That's bullshit, and most of us Americans would agree I think.

Jul 2018
North Carolina
I know this might defy your simpleton logic but that doesn't make it a racist symbol. It was a symbol of defiance against the British.
Agreed, and this definition / description is how I would define the flag's meaning.

Don’t tread on me
began on the so-called Gadsden flag, which features a rattlesnake coiled above the expression on a yellow background. The flag was first flown on a warship in 1775 as a battle cry for American independence from British rule. The snake was an established symbol for America at the time, even Benjamin Franklin used it, saying the rattlesnake never backed down when provoked, which captured “the temper and conduct of America.”
The tread in Gadsden’s defiant phrase, don’t tread on me, means “to step, walk, or trample so as to press, crush, or injure something.” And so, with its tongue flicked, fangs out, and body coiled in defense, the rattlesnake (and motto) warns: “If you dare put your foot down on me, I will strike.”
ATW: What Does don’t tread on me Mean? | Slang by Dictionary.com

TBF has this flag been used for racist propaganda purposes by some? Sure it has. That's the challenge we face because some of us American @$$holes use it for that nefarious purpose. We gotta call that $hit out when people do IT for that particular, stupid, racist reason.

raj

Oct 2018
In your head
I have no idea what they believe which is the point of that flag being used to represent almost any and all ideologies. Maybe you should notify your friends that it was created by a rank racist slave owner who in turn treaded all over the Cherokee and let them decide.

Also his grandson was responsible for the Gadsden Purchase which was an attempt by the South to extend its slavery influence west to Arizona and California by bypassing the union states and territories.

I live in NY, and there's a house about 2 miles from my home that flies that flag outside their front door.

I always assumed they were Tea Partiers, but who knows? I'm just glad they don't live any closer to me.