Driver Licenses From These States May Soon Be Invalid for Domestic Flights

Sep 2012
SoCal
This is becoming ridiculous. CA issues separate and different DLs to non-citizens … now citizens are suspect? What if there is a family emergency and immediate travel is required? I was born in OH, yet would have to pay over $100 (which I could not afford to do, and would not be able to get other forms listed), for a passport and wait many weeks to get it, but a 'permanent resident card' makes it OK to fly? I have not needed to fly since 2008, and now will not be able to do so if necessary after May 24. Where are the federal ID cards that the government was going to give us for free?

The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) would like to remind you that you may need to bring something extra to the airport next year.

Over the next few weeks, the TSA will increase the number of signs at airports around the country reminding you that the REAL ID Act will go into effect on Oct. 1, 2020.

It’s a little-known fact that, at the moment, passengers who show up without an ID may still be able to pass through security. It’s a more time-consuming process, but a TSA agent may be able to confirm your identity by collecting information. Come October 2020, this will no longer be an option. Everybody will have to have an ID on hand.

Beginning on that day, all residents of states whose ID rules do not comply with new REAL ID standards will have to bring federal ID — like a passport, military ID, permanent resident card or trusted traveler card (like Global Entry) — to the airport.

Most states are currently in compliance with the REAL ID Act, meaning that residents can travel with their driver’s licenses as normal.

However, there are a few states whose residents should keep an eye out. The only state currently under TSA review is California. At the moment, a driver’s license will work as identification through May 24, 2019. After that point, it may be necessary to bring a federal ID to the airport.

...MORE...

Last edited:
Jul 2014
midwest
Just takes a couple more pieces if ID when you renew your Drivers License.

And, might cost a little more, but you got to have it to fly so we got to get it.

People can complain all they want, but it's the new thing...

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
I dont know how it works elsewhere but here we have the option of having a Real ID license or just a regular one. Reason being is that the IDs needed to get one are a lot. Many dont have them. One of our friends was rejected because she was married 3 times, they wanted each of her marriage licenses and all divorce records. She was like "forget it." lol

Jan 2014
California
This is becoming ridiculous. CA issues separate and different DLs to non-citizens … now citizens are suspect? What if there is a family emergency and immediate travel is required? I was born in OH, yet would have to pay over $100 (which I could not afford to do, and would not be able to get other forms listed), for a passport and wait many weeks to get it, but a 'permanent resident card' makes it OK to fly? I have not needed to fly since 2008, and now will not be able to do so if necessary after May 24. Where are the federal ID cards that the government was going to give us for free?

Mr. Friday,

What is your point? They have been announcing this for going on 2 years now.

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
Ohio is doing this now.

Compliant

• The compliant card has a star in the upper part of the card.
  • The compliant card can be used to fly or enter federal facilities, including military bases.
  • You must provide all required identity documents to receive a compliant card.
  • A compliant card cannot solely be used for international travel. International travel, including Canada and Mexico, still requires a passport.
Standard

• A standard card cannot be used to fly, enter federal facilities or military bases without additional documentation approved by the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) or other federal requirements, as needed.
  • An Ohio standard driver license or identification card needs no additional documentation at time of renewal.
Both cards allow you to prove your identity for tasks like buying alcohol, obtaining social services or registering to vote, with just the driver's license allowing you to lawfully operate a motor vehicle.

NOTE: You will need to provide all required identity documents for a first time issuance of a driver license or identification card, regardless of your choice of a compliant or standard card.
Special ID for special people I guess.

Jan 2019
southeast
This was put into effect in 2005. Why the whining.

Not sure about your gripe. According to your article The Real ID Act was passed by Congress in 2005.