Drug testing surprise

Feb 2011
The formerly great golden state
Fla. welfare applicants less likely to use drugs

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. — Preliminary figures on a new Florida law requiring drug tests for welfare applicants show that they are less likely than other people to use drugs, not more. One famous Floridian suggests that it's the people who came up with the law who should be submitting specimens.

Columnist and best-selling author Carl Hiaasen offered to pay for drug testing for all 160 members of the Florida Legislature in what he called "a patriotic whiz-fest." Several of the law's supporters say they're on board.
Time for a "patriotic whiz-fest" in Washington, too?

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
How am I not surprised? When you're poor you can barely afford to eat let alone buy drugs. It's common sense. And yes, all the legislators should be tested.

NiteGuy

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Teardrop City
Agreed. This doesn't mean I'm against random testing of anyone on the government dole, including corporate welfare, but mandatory drug and alcohol testing of elected representatives is an excellent idea.
Yep. Unannounced, of course, as well. No sense in letting these folks have time to let the drugs clear their system.

Sparta

Former Staff
Aug 2006
Connecticut
Count me in for testing all elected representatives, just to show I'm no hypocrite I'll take a test too.