Eco-Friendly Straw Kills Woman

Dec 2014
The Milky Way
In what world are metal straws a good idea? Eco-freaks world I suppose.

The November 2018 death of Broadstone, England, resident Elena Struthers-Gardner has just been ruled accidental. According to the Daily Echo, the 60-year-old woman collapsed in her kitchen while holding a glass — whose 10-inch steel straw drove through her left eye socket and pierced her brain.

Specifically, Struthers-Gardner was carrying a jar-style glass with a screw-top lid that held the straw in place.

The cause of death was traumatic brain injury — and the coroner who investigated her gruesome end is warning others not to use metal straws in drink lids that keep them fixed in place.

“Clearly great care should be taken when using these metal straws,” assistant coroner Brendan Allen tells the Daily Echo in a statement. “There is no give in them at all.”

https://nypost.com/2019/07/09/metal-drinking-straw-impales-uk-womans-brain-killing-her/

Reactions: Madeline
May 2019
West Haven
In what world are metal straws a good idea? Eco-freaks world I suppose.

The November 2018 death of Broadstone, England, resident Elena Struthers-Gardner has just been ruled accidental. According to the Daily Echo, the 60-year-old woman collapsed in her kitchen while holding a glass — whose 10-inch steel straw drove through her left eye socket and pierced her brain.
Specifically, Struthers-Gardner was carrying a jar-style glass with a screw-top lid that held the straw in place.
The cause of death was traumatic brain injury — and the coroner who investigated her gruesome end is warning others not to use metal straws in drink lids that keep them fixed in place.
“Clearly great care should be taken when using these metal straws,” assistant coroner Brendan Allen tells the Daily Echo in a statement. “There is no give in them at all.”

https://nypost.com/2019/07/09/metal-drinking-straw-impales-uk-womans-brain-killing-her/
In a world in which there is more plastic in the oceans than fish.

Feb 2010
Sunny Bournemouth, Dorset
Metal straws aren't ecofriendly. They consume far more energy and resources to produce, and they're not needed. Just don't use plastic ones. Or any? Humanity somehow evolved without straws until the last century, we can do again.

Rev. Hellh0und

Former Staff
Jul 2011
315 bowery/DMS
Metal straws aren't ecofriendly. They consume far more energy and resources to produce, and they're not needed. Just don't use plastic ones. Or any? Humanity somehow evolved without straws until the last century, we can do again.

Can the masses use paper straws or is that verboten as well?

Next time you are driving with a milkshake, tell me how you don't need a straw! ;)

Reactions: One and Madeline
Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
Can the masses use paper straws or is that verboten as well?

Next time you are driving with a milkshake, tell me how you don't need a straw! ;)
Straws also reduce cavities, if the liquid is sweet.

Not to mention, they can reduce packaging on individually-sized drinks, such as milk for school lunches.