Eco-Friendly Straw Kills Woman

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
Nah THOSE aren't the problem.

Cell phones are the main distraction, and it's not even even close.

Texting and talking and other phone apps are the vast majority of the problem.

Put cell phone disruptors on ALL cars.

Won't happen, though...
I never take my phone when I leave the house. I rolled into another vehicle at a red light trying to text about 10 years ago.

Reactions: Leo2

Tedminator

Former Staff
Jun 2010
South Florida
I beg to differ - you should not be operating a motor vehicle while imbibing in any sort of beverage - hot or cold. Stop somewhere and have your drink from the container, or preferably, wait until you reach your destination. The worst automotive design development has been cup holders.
Different design philosophies. My previous BMW had zero cupholders. My current Dodge has two cupholders per passenger.. chilled/heated cupholders at that :zany:

Reactions: Madeline

One

Former Staff
Dec 2006
----> X <----
Nah THOSE aren't the problem.

Cell phones are the main distraction, and it's not even even close.

Texting and talking and other phone apps are the vast majority of the problem.

Put cell phone disruptors on ALL cars.

Won't happen, though...
Why should a passenger's phone be disrupted, since they aren't driving?

Nov 2015
UK
Kind of a freak accident. I guess this incident proves that recycling is eval?

Silly liberals....
I remember in the news someone had a kitchen knife stood blade up in the dishwasher. The dishwasher was open, the owner walked in, tripped and landed on the knife. Suffice to say, dead.

I always put cutlery in blade/prongs down and kitchen knives lying flat.

Accidents do happen but it's doing things in a certain way helps reduce deaths and injuries.

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
Can the masses use paper straws or is that verboten as well? Next time you are driving with a milkshake, tell me how you don't need a straw! ;)
My thoughts exactly. Personally, I think the steel ones are a nuisance, since they require cleaning. Paper straws are cheap, disposable, and biodegradable.

Rev. Hellh0und

Former Staff
Jul 2011
315 bowery/DMS
My thoughts exactly. Personally, I think the steel ones are a nuisance, since they require cleaning. Paper straws are cheap, disposable, and biodegradable.

so far I find you have to drink faster though cause the straws get soggy after a few.

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
so far I find you have to drink faster though cause the straws get soggy after a few.
That's a minor issue. We already have the technology to make paper straws that are "good." Do you really think it would take a prohibitive amount of R&D to improve their longevity by 20-30 minutes?

Rev. Hellh0und

Former Staff
Jul 2011
315 bowery/DMS
That's a minor issue. We already have the technology to make paper straws that are "good." Do you really think it would take a prohibitive amount of R&D to improve their longevity by 20-30 minutes?

Not at all. We could definitely over engineer a straw! ;)