Education and bureaucracy

Dec 2018
Florida
How would you feel about a decentralized public education system with a stronger
top down management from the local level? A reduced amount of bureaucracy for teachers, school boards, superintendents, and administrators to deal with? Essentially? Allow a school system to guide itself from a county level rather than a state level.

Jul 2011
Memphis, Tn.
How would you feel about a decentralized public education system with a stronger
top down management from the local level? A reduced amount of bureaucracy for teachers, school boards, superintendents, and administrators to deal with? Essentially? Allow a school system to guide itself from a county level rather than a state level.
Depends on who is placed on the "top." Elected school board members who's only concern is local politics OR trained and experienced educators?

Dec 2018
Florida
Depends on who is placed on the "top." Elected school board members who's only concern is local politics OR trained and experienced educators?
Such is the price of living in a democratic society. An elected official and politics come into it at some point.

School boards who HIRE a qualified superintendent is not a bad idea. “Trained and experienced” educators are not always good leaders or immune to the same petty crap. I think decentralizing would be a good idea for teachers as well. Get away from big unions and negotiate at a local level. Big unions have a tendency to take big money from little people. But that is still decentralizing. :shru:

May 2016
california
Apparently government run schools can't be optimal until they are awash in more money than they can count. Private education based on actual results might be the way to go. Though it's ultimately up to the student.

Feb 2011
The formerly great golden state
While that sounds good on the surface, simplistic solutions to complex issues seldom work as planned. Giving the county total control of the the schools therein would likely result in abuses, in hiring good old boys to oversee what they do not understand, in top heavy administration, in religion being injected into the schools via mandatory prayers and teaching creationism as science. Some counties would no doubt do a good job, others not so much. It's like charter schools: overall, it's a good idea to have schools compete for students and get out of some of the bureaucracy that infects our system. On the other hand, there are serious abuses: A local school was getting money for school lunches that were served several miles from the school, for example. Another charter school turned out to be a de facto madrassa.
Unintended consequences can be a bit of a problem.

Reactions: Ian Jeffrey
Aug 2018
Vancouver
Local administration sounds great to me because I live in an urban coastal multicultural metropolis.

Try it 300km out of town and I guarantee you’ll have textbooks showing white Jesus riding a T-Rex with a shotgun saying “remember kids, only Satan and Communists believe in evolution”

Sep 2012
California
I live in a small community. We have way too many districts, some are only for one school. I am for merging them to save administrative costs. Small is not always better, you end up paying for the same administrator for every district and get no benefit from it at all.