Egypt finalizing details of long-term Hamas-Israel truce

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
Egypt finalizing details of long-term Hamas-Israel truce

CAIRO (Reuters) - Egypt is finalizing details of a long-term truce deal between Israel and Hamas in the Gaza Strip, an Egyptian security source said on Thursday, amid easing tensions on the border of the enclave where some two million Palestinians live.

Cairo has brokered an interim truce that has allowed commercial goods into Gaza ahead of the Muslim Eid al-Adha feast which starts next week.

“We are putting the final touches to the terms of the truce that will be signed by all sides, and we expect to announce the terms next week if Fatah helps us to do so,” the source said, referring to Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas’s mainstream party which dominates the occupied West Bank.

[hr][/hr]
Hopefully they can work something out. I'm unhopeful and skeptical, given the history here, but it would be nice for this stuff to cool off.

Reactions: 4 people
Jul 2013
Nashville, TN
The Jimmy Carter brokered peace between Israel and Egypt has held for 40 years, the longest period of peace in Israel's history.

Reactions: 1 person

Chief

Former Staff
Nov 2009
SoCal
Trump takes credit in 5...4....3...

lol

I don't think they can work things out until they agree on where they want things to end between them.

May 2016
california
I don't think Hamas wants it to end but they might want a respite. The animosity might die on the vine though, eventually, maybe ten generations.

Jul 2014
midwest
I don't think Hamas wants it to end but they might want a respite. The animosity might die on the vine though, eventually, maybe ten generations.
Correct.

Hamas' leaders derive their power from keeping the hatred ramped up.

And, who do they hate?

Maybe this will work, but it seems like a long shot.

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Hamas' leaders derive their power from keeping the hatred ramped up.
Not only that, but if they make peace, then the only way they could keep power would be to actually get to work governing and building up the country, and that is actually work.

HCProf

Council Hall
Sep 2014
USA
I think it is too late for peace between Israel and Palestine. To much history and deaths to erase the memories. There will never be peace until HAMA's is gone. This isn't going to work long term. All it takes is a suicide bomber martyr and it is all over.

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
I think it is too late for peace between Israel and Palestine. To much history and deaths to erase the memories. There will never be peace until HAMA's is gone. This isn't going to work long term.
You never know. I agree, Hamas needs to go. Even if a deal is reached in the short term, Hamas with either blatantly break it by justifying an attack, or will claim Israel broke it by exhaling in the wrong place. But if a short-term deal works, maybe the Gazans will discover they're tired of Hamas and will pick someone else.

All it takes is a suicide bomber martyr and it is all over.
Possibly, yes. Of course, Hamas and Gaza could always disavow the act and call for peace to be maintained, instead of justifying it.

Not likely, but not impossible. Israel should definitely do whatever it can to foster an agreement without giving away the store.

Jul 2015
Maryland USA
I have a friend that worked for the Reuters news service and has spent time in the Middle East. He told me that he has witnessed hatred often, but nothing like he saw in the Middle East. His words: the hatred was so thick you could cut it with a knife.

HCProf

Council Hall
Sep 2014
USA
You never know. I agree, Hamas needs to go. Even if a deal is reached in the short term, Hamas with either blatantly break it by justifying an attack, or will claim Israel broke it by exhaling in the wrong place. But if a short-term deal works, maybe the Gazans will discover they're tired of Hamas and will pick someone else.

Possibly, yes. Of course, Hamas and Gaza could always disavow the act and call for peace to be maintained, instead of justifying it.

Not likely, but not impossible. Israel should definitely do whatever it can to foster an agreement without giving away the store.
I am not sure if they can oust HAMA's at this point. HAMA's is pretty brutal to their own people. What does the PA think about HAMA's? Are they aligned together? IMO, the hate for each other runs too deep. It will take decades of generations to overcome the loss of life between the two. I think it will eventually come down to genocide. Israel has been fighting for decades, every Country around them, and eventually they will get sick of it.