Elected leaders who weaponize religion are playing a dangerous game

Macduff

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
While I oppose the nomination of Brian Buescher to the U.S. District Court in Nebraska, I stand strongly against those who are fomenting religious bigotry, citing as disqualifiers Buescher’s Catholicism and his affiliation with the Knights of Columbus. If Buescher is “unqualified” because of his Catholicism and affiliation with the Knights of Columbus, then President John F. Kennedy, and the 'liberal lion of the Senate' Ted Kennedy would have been “unqualified” for the same reasons.
Article 6 of the U.S. Constitution clearly states that there "shall be no religious test" for any seeking to serve in public office.
No American should be told that his or her public service is unwelcome because “the dogma lives loudly within you” as Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) said to Amy Coney Barrett during her confirmation hearings in 2017 to serve as U.S. Circuit Court judge in the 7th Circuit.
While I absolutely believe in the separation of church and state as a necessity to the health of our nation, no American should be asked to renounce his or her faith or membership in a faith-based, service organization in order to hold public office.
The party that worked so hard to convince people that Catholics and Knights of Columbus like Al Smith and John F. Kennedy could be both good Catholics and good public servants shows an alarming disregard of its own history in making such attacks today.

We must call this out for what it is – religious bigotry. This is true not just when such prejudice is anti-Catholic, but also when it is anti-Semitic, anti-Muslim, anti-Hindu, or anti-Protestant, or any other religion.
Senate Democrats are creating a standard where no person of religious faith can serve in office. It's discrimination and unconstitutional.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
I saw this. Apparently Tulsi Gabbard is taking heat for this.

Congresswoman Tulsi Gabbard took aim at Democratic colleagues, including U.S. Sen. Mazie Hirono, accusing them of religious bigotry in their questioning of Brian Buescher, a nominee to the U.S. District Court of Nebraska, in an opinion piece published by The Hill yesterday. “I stand strongly against those who are fomenting religious bigotry, citing as disqualifiers Buescher’s Catholicism and his affiliation with the Knights of Columbus,” wrote Gabbard. “If Buescher is ‘unqualified’ because of his Catholicism and affiliation with the Knights of Columbus, then President John F. Kennedy, and the ‘liberal lion of the Senate’ Ted Kennedy would have been ‘unqualified’ for the same reasons.”

Gabbard accuses Hirono, Democratic colleagues of religious bigotry

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
Senate Democrats are creating a standard where no person of religious faith can serve in office. It's discrimination and unconstitutional.
Obvious question: Is someone who's a Muslim or Jew using their religious values as plus points for for getting a seat on the bench? In America it's only Christians who do that.

Except maybe Jehovah's Witness, FLDS & Children of God.

Seriously, they have a point about this, although as far as I'm concerned, it shouldn't be an reason to vote against any more than it should be an issue to vote for.

Jan 2015
Great State of Texas
I started a thread on this a couple of weeks ago.

Democrats Accused of ‘Religious Bigotry’

There is no question the Left is this Country hates Christians and Jews and this hatred can be seen time and again in their comments.

However, I don't think this will change.

If anything this Bigotry will continue to become more and more obvious.

Macduff

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
I agree. Get rid of him. We can’t have people of his mentality in power.
I take it that you're not a big fan of the Constitution.
"but no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States."

Oct 2014
Galaxy ZRF
I take it that you're not a big fan of the Constitution.
"but no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States."
The dude can believe whatever he wants, he just shouldn’t be allowed to create laws based on his beliefs.