Elizabeth Warren’s plan to ‘level the playing field’ by taxing rich heirs

Mar 2019
Heavy Metal Chick

Elizabeth Warren

@ewarren

The Walmart heirs make $4 million an hour.

A new Walmart associate makes $11 an hour.

My two-cent wealth tax on families like the Waltons would help level the playing field for working families and rebuild the middle class. https://www.bloomberg.com/features/richest-families-in-the-world/ …

The Waltons top the list of the 25 dynasties controlling $1.4 trillion globally.
Walmart, Samsung, Koch Industries and Hermes have built some of the biggest fortunes to ever be handed down between generations.
bloomberg.com

7:59 PM - Aug 12, 2019

Let me know when the new Walmart associate employs 2.2 million people

Oct 2011
Washington State

Elizabeth Warren
@ewarren

My two-cent wealth tax on families like the Waltons would help level the playing field for working families and rebuild the middle class. https://www.bloomberg.com/features/richest-families-in-the-world/ …

The Waltons top the list of the 25 dynasties controlling $1.4 trillion globally.
Walmart, Samsung, Koch Industries and Hermes have built some of the biggest fortunes to ever be handed down between generations.
bloomberg.com

So that's your excuse? Walmart employs lots of people. Many of those 2.2 million people rely on food stamps because of Walmart paying cheap wages. That must really piss you off.

Jul 2013
Nashville, TN

Elizabeth Warren
@ewarren

bloomberg.com

Tell me how much of their billions they earned themselves ? Do you think lottery winners should go untaxed?

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
Today, estates represent an immense potential tax base, yet there is little political will to tap them. This is not some American tradition but in fact a departure from it: As The Economist has noted, America’s early state governments threw out laws that encouraged the accumulation of wealth over generations, following the example Thomas Jefferson set with the Virginia legislature in 1777. They got rid of the English legal precedents of primogeniture and entail—under which titles and property were inherited in their entirety by the oldest male heir—forcing families to divvy up their wealth among more children. Jefferson cited Adam Smith, who called the idea that people should control their estates well beyond their death “manifestly absurd.” Jefferson insisted that “the earth belongs in usufruct to the living.”

Similarly, Alexis de Tocqueville identified the breaking-up of estates as one of the cornerstones of the young country’s success. “What is most important for democracy is not that great fortunes should not exist,” he wrote, “but that great fortunes should not remain in the same hands. In that way there are rich men, but they do not form a class.”
America’s Un-American Resistance to the Estate Tax

It was all part of the move away from the class structures of England and Europe in general. Those who are opposed to the inheritance tax essentially support aristocracy here in the US and have little understanding of what this country is supposed be.

Jul 2013
Nashville, TN
America’s Un-American Resistance to the Estate Tax

It was all part of the move away from the class structures of England and Europe in general. Those who are opposed to the inheritance tax essentially support aristocracy here in the US and have little understanding of what this country is supposed be.
They have been brain washed by the rich plutocrats to vote against their own best interests.

Sep 2007
N48 51.489 E2 17.67119
So that's your excuse? Walmart employs lots of people. Many of those 2.2 million people rely on food stamps because of Walmart paying cheap wages. That must really piss you off.
They also rely on Medicaid or the State for Healthcare. What's nice though, is she doesn't hold against the rich when they take our wealth, whi h they've been doing since Reagan. That's very generous of her. Our Healthcare is a fucking travesty.

Jul 2013
Nashville, TN
They also rely on Medicaid or the State for Healthcare. What's nice though, is she doesn't hold against the rich when they take our wealth, whi h they've been doing since Reagan. That's very generous of her. Our Healthcare is a fucking travesty.
The right has been taught that it is good to not tax the rich because that will get them the judges they want to stop liberals from messing with God, Guns and Gays.