Elizabeth Warren is now among Democratic front runners

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
I think its very possible she could win the primaries. She really is moving up and more people are considering her.

Elizabeth Warren has made inroads among Democrats, especially liberals.

Just about as many Democratic primary voters in the latest Economist/YouGov Poll say they are considering the Massachusetts Senator for the Democratic presidential nomination as are considering Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders. Warren still lags behind former Vice President Joe Biden by just a few percentage points on this question.

The percentage considering Biden has dropped seven points in the last week, while the changes in other candidates’ percentages are small. Biden remains the clear leader among women and African-Americans, while Warren is considered by more liberals (who are a majority of all Democratic primary voters) than Biden or Sanders.

Warren has several advantages in the presidential contest, too. She has the lowest unfavorable rating among Democrats of any of the leading Democratic contenders. Just 9% in this poll view Warren unfavorably, while 72% have a favorable opinion of her. Democrats’ favorable rating for Biden is one point higher than Warren, but twice as many Democrats view Biden unfavorably compared with Warren.

Warren also doesn’t have the baggage of age, as Sanders and Biden do. It is the most common word used by Democratic primary voters when they are asked to describe each of them. Democratic voters use a variety of words to describe Warren, and nearly all of them are positive.

Elizabeth Warren is now among Democratic front runners | YouGov

Jan 2016
Colorado
I've got to give her this: She has more explicit policy proposals than ANY of the other Democratic candidates out there. That alone makes her a SERIOUS candidate.

She will also be formidable in any debate, because she knows her stuff. She's a policy wonk, quite obviously.

As I've said before, though, I just don't think she 'plays well in Peoria'. I don't think she has NATIONAL appeal. I have a HARD time seeing her beating Trump in a general election. America may be ready for a female President. I don't know if America is ready for a female President quite like Elizabeth Warren, who still strikes me as being rather shrill.

HayJenn

Jul 2014
CA
I've got to give her this: She has more explicit policy proposals than ANY of the other Democratic candidates out there. That alone makes her a SERIOUS candidate.

She will also be formidable in any debate, because she knows her stuff. She's a policy wonk, quite obviously.

As I've said before, though, I just don't think she 'plays well in Peoria'. I don't think she has NATIONAL appeal. I have a HARD time seeing her beating Trump in a general election. America may be ready for a female President. I don't know if America is ready for a female President quite like Elizabeth Warren, who still strikes me as being rather shrill.
I do like Warren a lot,. Because she does know her stuff. But good to see that she is surpassing Sanders in many state polls.

But I agree she probably would not stand a chance against Trump - because he is going to scream "Socliast" all day long about her. She would make a great cabinet secretary though.

BTW, that "shrill" comment is pretty sexist :)

Reactions: labrea and Babba
Mar 2012
New Hampshire

Agree. I think she is going to be tough to beat in the primaries due to her ideas and policies. She might surprise in the rust belt as she has taken Sherrod Browns stance quite a few times and some have said should she win, he could be her VP. Her biggest issue I think might be upper middle class and Wall St. They seem nervous about her trade stances and her wanting to break up the companies and banks. As a side note, she also tends to lose her voice a lot while campaigning and that might be a difficult optic.

Jan 2016
Colorado
I do like Warren a lot,. Because she does know her stuff. But good to see that she is surpassing Sanders in many state polls.

But I agree she probably would not stand a chance against Trump - because he is going to scream "Socliast" all day long about her. She would make a great cabinet secretary though.

Is it? I DON'T say that about Amy Klobuchar, or about Kamala Harris, or about ANY of the other female candidates. The ONLY candidate I say that about is Elizabeth Warren. It's a person thing, not a gender thing.

And I think Ms. Warren would make a PERFECT Labor Secretary in a Democratic Administration.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire

It may be sexist but it does occur to men often thats a poor optic. Its the first thing many said about Hillary in the rust belt "she screeches." Men discuss this all the time and while us women folk can talk about it all day, the men do see it as problematic in voting for a leader.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Is it? I DON'T say that about Amy Klobuchar, or about Kamala Harris, or about ANY of the other female candidates. The ONLY candidate I say that about is Elizabeth Warren. It's a person thing, not a gender thing.

And I think Ms. Warren would make a PERFECT Labor Secretary in a Democratic Administration.
See now my two friends think Klobuchar's voice is horrific. As I told you before, they went to one of her town halls up here and left not liking her at all. They just think she is monosyllabic, boring and milquetoast. They did not like her at all.

Apr 2014
Maryland

He calls her Pocahontas and it sticks

Apr 2014
Maryland
It may be sexist but it does occur to men often thats a poor optic. Its the first thing many said about Hillary in the rust belt "she screeches." Men discuss this all the time and while us women folk can talk about it all day, the men do see it as problematic in voting for a leader.
Yes it is pure sexism. I remember when I began my career in prejudice I asked how many were feminists and hardly any hands went up. I remember saying , “of course you don’t want to raise your hands because you don’t want to see yourself categorized as shrill and strident yet men don’t get those stereotypes” Then I asked “ how many of you believe in equal rights for women?l” I said? and every hand shot up. I said “You're feminists” Women are held to a different standard and what is stereotyped as female is negative
I also have to laugh when her age is an advantage. A mere baby of 70

Reactions: labrea