Elizabeth Warren says House should start impeachment proceedings for Trump.

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
Elizabeth Warren calls for House to begin impeachment proceedings on Trump - CNNPolitics

Kinda expected she would be the first candidate to call for this. I tend to agree. It's not calling for Trump to be impeached. All she's calling for is that impeachment proceeding commence. In related news....Nancy Pelosi Plans Monday Meeting On Mueller Report: 'Congress Will Not Be Silent' | HuffPost

I trust Pelosi to make the right call. It's a delicate balance. I get that. Congress is all but having impeachment hearings already. They just aren't calling it that. I think that's the cowards way out. The American people aren't stupid. They should call it what it is and be done with it. The argument against is because Trump and his allies will use impeachment hearings to get Trump reelected. There is a election coming up and it would be preferable to allow the voters to decide. That argument most certainly has merit. However, Warren also has a good point. After all the fuss Dems made over being the ones to decide whether or not Trump has committed impeachable offenses, they risk the voters seeing them as hypocrites if they don't follow through.

Tough call.

Your thoughts.

Reactions: BigLeRoy
Feb 2010
between Moon and NYC
Elizabeth Warren calls for House to begin impeachment proceedings on Trump - CNNPolitics

Kinda expected she would be the first candidate to call for this. I tend to agree. It's not calling for Trump to be impeached. All she's calling for is that impeachment proceeding commence. In related news....Nancy Pelosi Plans Monday Meeting On Mueller Report: 'Congress Will Not Be Silent' | HuffPost

I trust Pelosi to make the right call. It's a delicate balance. I get that. Congress is all but having impeachment hearings already. They just aren't calling it that. I think that's the cowards way out. The American people aren't stupid. They should call it what it is and be done with it. The argument against is because Trump and his allies will use impeachment hearings to get Trump reelected. There is a election coming up and it would be preferable to allow the voters to decide. That argument most certainly has merit. However, Warren also has a good point. After all the fuss Dems made over being the ones to decide whether or not Trump has committed impeachable offenses, they risk the voters seeing them as hypocrites if they don't follow through.

Tough call.

Your thoughts.
Believe the entire issue and contemplation by the Democrats is now a matter of political perception. The likelihood of a conviction in the Senate is still pretty low. So any impeachment proceedings are going to be more symbolic than substantial.

So for Pelosi and the Democrats the question is whether an impeachment spectacle/circus would help or hurt the Democrats in the 2020 elections.

And as you note.....that's a tough call to make.

Reactions: the watchman

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
Believe the entire issue and contemplation by the Democrats is now a matter of political perception. The likelihood of a conviction in the Senate is still pretty low. So any impeachment proceedings are going to be more symbolic than substantial.

So for Pelosi and the Democrats the question is whether an impeachment spectacle/circus would help or hurt the Democrats in the 2020 elections.

And as you note.....that's a tough call to make.

At this point it would hurt them to commence impeachment hearings. I think Pelosi is right to take it one step at a time. The judiciary committee appears to be doing just that. You make a very good point about it being a "spectacle/circus". That's all it would be at this point because there simply isn't enough time before the election to do anything other than hold hearings. Nothing that's likely to get Republican's on board.

Reactions: NightSwimmer
Jan 2019
Tempe, AZ
She's a clueless whackadoodle. Apparently she does not realize there must be actual & clear grounds for such an action! It is not something that is done willy nilly! :rolleyes:

No Democrat has filled in the blank so far: We should impeach Trump for__________. :cool:

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
She's a clueless whackadoodle. Apparently she does not realize there must be actual & clear grounds for such an action! It is not something that is done willy nilly! :rolleyes:

No Democrat has filled in the blank so far: We should impeach Trump for__________. :cool:
Wrong. Congress decides what an impeachable offense is. If they wanted to they could impeach Trump because of his stupid comb over.

Feb 2010
between Moon and NYC
At this point it would hurt them to commence impeachment hearings. I think Pelosi is right to take it one step at a time. The judiciary committee appears to be doing just that. You make a very good point about it being a "spectacle/circus". That's all it would be at this point because there simply isn't enough time before the election to do anything other than hold hearings. Nothing that's likely to get Republican's on board.
Appears that the Mueller report does not contain "the smoking gun" that some/many to the Left were hoping for. But it also certainly isn't providing the "nothing to see here" exoneration that some/many on the Right would like to claim.

Believe the report is going to damage Trump's chances for re-election in 2020. He will still have the support of the party loyalists/faithful, but i think he is going to struggle to get votes from that middle 10%-20% of the voters who actually elect Presidents. (Doubt he would have gotten those votes in 2016 if is opponent had been a little more palatable.)

Time will tell. But am suspecting the Mueller report will hurt Trump. And it sure isn't going to help him unless the Democrats fuck up and turn him (Trump) into some kind of martyr.

Reactions: bajisima