End The US DOE Experiment?

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
The US Department of Education came into being as a cabinet agency in the Carter Administration, with an initial mission of distributing federal funds to schools, ending illegal discrimination and "fostering excellence" via curriculum and testing. The US DOE is not the only federal agency that dictates to and helps to fund schools; the USDA (particularly through school lunch and milk programs); the DHHS (Head Start and others; child protection standards, etc.) also participate.

This system is broken and the DOE should be closed, apart from running higher education student loan programs, etc. It should not continue to be a cabinet agency.

The axiom "he who writes the checks has the power" has been true of the DOE throughout my lifetime. US public schools have never been full to overflowing with money and the federal dollars were vital to most. Thus, local school districts have been forced to comply with federal mandates whether they agreed with them or not.

Under Obama, the Common Core standards have been used in a breath-taking power grab. The feds set the standards; they create the tests; they dictate how results are measured. Schools that fall below standards or fail to show gains from year to year lose funding (the feds claim this is an incentive to those who meet standards, but this is ridiculous doubletalk.)

It is time to admit, the experiment failed. Urban public schools are so much worse than they were under Carter; fewer kids graduate and of those who do, not as many as you'd think are literate. There is no support for the contention that the federal government knows best.

Indiana has already withdrawn from Common Core, as has Louisiana. But these states will lose the federal dollars and this should not be. The feds can send cash to the states for public schools just as they send it to them for Medicaid, interstate highways and other programs.

It is time we tried local control of our public schools, as frankly, nobody could do a worse job of it than the DOE.

What say you? Should the US DOE be closed?

Last edited:
Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
Dang...I can't figure out how to make a poll.

O well, it's a yes or no question.

Jul 2013
On a happy trail
The US Department of Education came into being as a cabinet agency in the Carter Administration, with an initial mission of distributing federal funds to schools, ending illegal discrimination and "fostering excellence" via curriculum and testing. The US DOE is not the only federal agency that dictates to and helps to fund schools; the USDA (particularly through school lunch and milk programs); the DHHS (Head Start and others; child protection standards, etc.) also participate.

This system is broken and the DOE should be closed, apart from running higher education student loan programs, etc. It should not continue to be a cabinet agency.

The axiom "he who writes the checks has the power" has been true of the DOE throughout my lifetime. US public schools have never been full to overflowing with money and the federal dollars were vital to most. Thus, local school districts have been forced to comply with federal mandates whether they agreed with them or not.

Under Obama, the Common Core standards have been used in a breath-taking power grab. The feds set the standards; they create the tests; they dictate how results are measured. Schools that fall below standards or fail to show gains from year to year lose funding (the feds claim this is an incentive to those who meet standards, but this is ridiculous doubletalk.)

It is time to admit, the experiment failed. Urban public schools are so much worse than they were under Carter; fewer kids graduate and of those who do, not as many as you'd think are literate. There is no support for the contention that the federal government knows best.

Indiana has already withdrawn from Common Core, as has Louisiana. But these states will lose the federal dollars and this should not be. The feds can send cash to the states for public schools just as they send it to them for Medicaid, interstate highways and other programs.

It is time we tried local control of our public schools, as frankly, nobody could do a worse job of it than the DOE.

What say you? Should the US DOE be closed?

We have had a Dept of Education under that and other names since 1867. It's not really all that new.

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
We have had a Dept of Education under that and other names since 1867. It's not really all that new.
True, but I did not think reviewing 150 years of history was the best set up for this question.

Thanks for the reply!

Feb 2011
The greatest place on Earth California
My grand children are in college and I would think the public education system worked well for them. Biologist, computer engineer, Psychologist.

Reactions: 2 people
Oct 2010
My grand children are in college and I would think the public education system worked well for them. Biologist, computer engineer, Psychologist.
The Public system HAS NOT failed other people's children. Other people failed THEIR OWN children.

I have worked with many a mother....guess who has kids with great grades....the mothers who sit down every week night with them and goes over the courses versus the parents who expect Public School to do all the educating for them.

Reactions: 4 people

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
It is all well and good to suggest we close Department of Education. But it would be irresponsible to think that all the problems would go away as a result. We know that the American education system is flawed but closing the Department of Education will not fix it.

If you do not have an actual solution, then closing the Department of Education out of spite is foolhardy.

Oct 2010
How would closing it help??

think states like Arkansas or Louisiana would have the same basic level of requirements of say..Iowa or Washington State??

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
It is all well and good to suggest we close Department of Education. But it would be irresponsible to think that all the problems would go away as a result. We know that the American education system is flawed but closing the Department of Education will not fix it.

If you do not have an actual solution, then closing the Department of Education out of spite is foolhardy.
I do not suggest it "out of spite". For starters, IMO it is waste -- enormous waste.

I think local school boards -- and parents -- are at least as able to choose for themselves whether to use standarized tests or not, how to reward what they see as quality teachers, what to do with unruly students, etc., etc.

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
How would closing it help??

think states like Arkansas or Louisiana would have the same basic level of requirements of say..Iowa or Washington State??
I don't know. It is possible they might choose to place emphasis on what they saw as curriculum that strengthen literacy skills, etc.

If they did lower the graduation requirements, they will begin to see the effect on their business communities and these people can have input, too.

There is a thriving tech and space industry across the Gulf states, and it is a mistake to presume that these people do not value math and science skills just as any other state's citizens do.