Erdogan threatens Libya's Haftar

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto

This could bring Russia and Turkey, potentially, into conflict again, since Russia supports Haftar with about 2,000 mercenaries and possibly some regular forces and anti-aircraft systems and such...

Haftar and the pro-Turkey Libyan leader were in Moscow yesterday, where Russian and Turkish diplomats tried to get them to sign a peace treaty. But Haftar left without signing...

Jul 2019
Atlanta

This could bring Russia and Turkey, potentially, into conflict again, since Russia supports Haftar with about 2,000 mercenaries and possibly some regular forces and anti-aircraft systems and such...

Haftar and the pro-Turkey Libyan leader were in Moscow yesterday, where Russian and Turkish diplomats tried to get them to sign a peace treaty. But Haftar left without signing...
I don't understand the dynamics here.

Reactions: The Man

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
I don't understand the dynamics here.
Both Russia and Turkey are after Libya's off shore oil and gas resources. Russia possibly also wants to gain control over the migrant flows through Libya, to blackmail and pressure Europe with it, maybe. That's my theory, anyhow.

Yeah, that's essentially the gist of it...

Jul 2019
Atlanta
Both Russia and Turkey are after Libya's off shore oil and gas resources. Russia possibly also wants to gain control over the migrant flows through Libya, to blackmail and pressure Europe with it, maybe. That's my theory, anyhow.

Yeah, that's essentially the gist of it...
Exxon had that concession and walked away long before 2011.

Reactions: The Man