'Eroded' U.S. Military Could Lose War Against Russia Or China

Oct 2014
C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
Especially with the latest publicly known nuclear weapons.

If memory serves they are hitting Mach 10-12, split into multiple warheads that could ultimately crater an area the size of Texas.

1 missile.

RNG

Jan 2015
Left coast
As was said, given that the US outspends its potential adversaries by a large factor made me really question this report when I first read it from a different source.

The claim is made that it is from a bipartisan committee of some sort but really looks to me as a preemptive move to prevent the Dems from reducing the military budgets and in fact try to increase them.

Oct 2014
C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
As was said, given that the US outspends its potential adversaries by a large factor made me really question this report when I first read it from a different source.

The claim is made that it is from a bipartisan committee of some sort but really looks to me as a preemptive move to prevent the Dems from reducing the military budgets and in fact try to increase them.
That's what you call a black budget... Charge 10 million for a "tent", buy a 500$ tent and you can keep the change.

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Especially with the latest publicly known nuclear weapons.

If memory serves they are hitting Mach 10-12, split into multiple warheads that could ultimately crater an area the size of Texas.

1 missile.

Spending ain't everything. Spending so much, to me, just means that the US military is getting overcharged like crazy for everything by their MIC...

But, as far as winning or losing a war with Russia... I would say it depends what sort of war.

Again, Russia could never effectively fight an offensive campaign against NATO.

But a defensive one, on own land, that would be a very, very different story.

It's not about the technology or the money. It's about the people.

Let me give you an example, a little story.

Look at this girl

Looks like just a regular little girl, right?

What if I told you, that this is Bogdana Nesheret, considered the youngest ever person to have fought on the separatst side in the Donbass, having been involved in the struggle there since the beginmning in 2014, when she was barely 9 (nine!) years old

having followed her father into the ranks of a militia

I recall one of her early photos from the war, on her VKontakte (Russian Facebook). The caption was "I cannot shoot my AK yet, it is too big and heavy for me right now. But I do what I can, I bring ammo to the grown up fighters out there, and I have bandaged the wounded sometimes. I help any way I can. No [slur for pro-Kiev Ukrainians] scum will walk on our Donbass land and remain alive!"

A nine year old girl wrote this. No joke. She's become a popular folk hero over the years, pretty much.

That's her in more recent times, this year, what, 13 now, training to become an officer in the separatist forces when grows up

My point, is this... That, above, that is who the Russians are, as a people.

I recall a conversation with a naive person here, who thought that if NATO manages to invade Russia, there would be adoring crowds waiting for them, thanking them for getting rid of Putin and what not, throwing flowers at their feet and such.

Those who think that know NOTHING of who the Russians are... I recall my own grandma, she was a partizan resistance fighter against the Germans. She wasn't stupid, she knew Stalin was an evil bastard. Hell, plenty of her own relatives were in GULag camps! But, as he told us "He [Stalin] was OURS. This is OUR country. Who the hell are some fucking Germans to come in here and try to change our government for us?"

Many young Russians may hate Putin today, and shout against him at their protests in the streets

But, guess what? If Western troops invade Russia tomorrow? Those kids will take up arms against them, most of them, and fight them to the fucking death. Because that is who the Russians are. They will NOT stand for a foreign occupation on their land. Period...

And American or British troops on Russian soil, in turn, would be giving their lives for... what exactly?

You see what I mean?

Jul 2011
UK/Australia
Even in a scenario where the US is the aggressor?

Let us say, tomorrow, America, backed by Australia, Japan, the Philippines, and South Korea, attack the Chinese artificial island bases in the South China Sea; attack first, without provocation. And, as noise beings in Moscow about aiding China, they, the US, also hit Vladivostok, again, hit first, trying to take out the Russian Pacific Fleet there, before it sails against them...

...do you suppose Canada will still back them then, in a war they themselves started?

Will we, frankly, have a choice?
The likelihood of Australia joining in a pre-emptive strike against Chinese assets is not high (probably about equal to that of the UK doing the same thing). I can't speak for the man in the street, but the US is not generally held in high regard in academic circles in either Australia or Britain, and not many Aussies or Brits will be keen on their sons dying to MAGA. This does not mean that Americans, as a people, are disliked - quite the contrary - rather that the USA, as an arrogant military/industrial complex, evokes mixed feelings.

Given the current administration, and what passes for diplomacy with the current US Head of State - it is also not a given that the rest of the developed world will line up alongside the USA in a stoush against either China or Russia. I suspect politely diplomatic noises will be made, but I don't see fully armed Queen Elizabeth carriers readily sailing to the the South China Sea or Crimean waters to protect US interests.

And Russians are no different from anybody else - they may criticise their own government (as do we all), but as invaders from Napoleon to Hitler learnt - they will defend their soil to the last man, woman, and child. Something I suspect we all would do when push come to shove. No society has the market cornered on bravery.

Aug 2018
Vancouver
The likelihood of Australia joining in a pre-emptive strike against Chinese assets is not high (probably about equal to that of the UK doing the same thing). I can't speak for the man in the street, but the US is not generally held in high regard in academic circles in either Australia or Britain, and not many Aussies or Brits will be keen on their sons dying to MAGA. This does not mean that Americans, as a people, are disliked - quite the contrary - rather that the USA, as an arrogant military/industrial complex, evokes mixed feelings.

Given the current administration, and what passes for diplomacy with the current US Head of State - it is also not a given that the rest of the developed world will line up alongside the USA in a stoush against either China or Russia. I suspect politely diplomatic noises will be made, but I don't see fully armed Queen Elizabeth carriers readily sailing to the the South China Sea or Crimean waters to protect US interests.

And Russians are no different from anybody else - they may criticise their own government (as do we all), but as invaders from Napoleon to Hitler learnt - they will defend their soil to the last man, woman, and child. Something I suspect we all would do when push come to shove. No society has the market cornered on bravery.
Australia and the UK have the luxury of deciding for themselves whether or not to ally with an embattled US against a “real” threat.

In Canada there’s no such option.

Whether China and/or Russia confront the US by air, land, sea, cruise missile, cyber or space - ALL those paths lead right through us.

And 80% of our population is in the blast zone.

Aug 2018
Vancouver
You’re right. You know, that never occurred to me.

This was the only of the 80s classic boardgames of this series that I didn’t own.

I still own two axis and allies games, and my cousin has my Shogun one. Im ready to play them any time. But it’s been 25 years since someone took me up on that offer.