'Eroded' U.S. Military Could Lose War Against Russia Or China

Jan 2016
Colorado
My earliest political memory is from when I was age 6 (watching Nixon give his resignation speech), and so I was probably picking things up before that.
Sadly, my earliest political memory is of the JFK assassination. I was going to school in a one-room country school-house------I am dating myself------and, very unusually, a bit past mid-day, a man came into the classroom, walked up to the teacher, and whispered into her ear for almost a minute, and her face turned ashen white. And then he left, and she announced to the room that the President had just been shot. [He had not yet died.] By the time I got home from school that day, we heard that he had died......

Jan 2016
Colorado
It reminds me of when we took Bahgdad, and the people were good with it, until some soldiers raised a US flag there, and suddenly the people started becoming angry. No one likes an occupier.
We were being welcomed with flowers and kisses up until then?

Chief

Former Staff
Nov 2009
SoCal
We were being welcomed with flowers and kisses up until then?
If the only thing we did was topple Saddam, and then we drew down and left, yeah... probably flowers. Not sure about the kisses. lol

I am not saying that would have been universal, but in general, Saddam was a dictator and hated by many. But that doesn't mean that Iraq wants an American boot on their neck either. The best thing for us probably would have been to have left Saddam in power though. I think we are pretty much batting zero when it comes to all these regime changes... we definitely get along better with dictators than with theocracies.

Feb 2011
The formerly great golden state
If the only thing we did was topple Saddam, and then we drew down and left, yeah... probably flowers. Not sure about the kisses. lol

I am not saying that would have been universal, but in general, Saddam was a dictator and hated by many. But that doesn't mean that Iraq wants an American boot on their neck either. The best thing for us probably would have been to have left Saddam in power though. I think we are pretty much batting zero when it comes to all these regime changes... we definitely get along better with dictators than with theocracies.
Particularly radical mid east theocracies. They are far more dangerous than any dictator, at least dictators in modern times.

Jan 2016
Colorado

You know, Chief, I betcha some of our invading GI's had visions of 'Midnight at the Oasis' dancing in their heads as they pulled into sultry and legendary Baghdad:

I betcha they were imagining nubile young Arab girls in veils, welcoming them into their tents with beckoning fingers and wicked smiles......

If ONLY we hadn't raised that damn American flag!!