Escape from Gitmo - on your x-box.

Jun 2006
Vancouver
http://theopinionator.typepad.com/my_weblog/2009/06/former-gitmo-detainee-becomes-xbox-star-1.html

Scottish game developer hires ex Gitmo prisoner as consultant on their "shoot you way out of Gitmo" x-box game. Think about it. You're the detainee and you run around gunning down Americans in an attempt to escape the prison.

It sounds sick, twisted, revolting and.... oh wait. Anyone remember Full Spectrum Warrior, America's Army, Conflict, Ghost Recon or any of the gabillion other games where you can wander around killing towelheads?

You can kill more Germans by owning an x-box for 5 years than actually died in WW2.

They talk about the anticipated negative reaction int he States, but I don't think so. I think North Americans are so de-sensitized the Yanks will just pick up the controller and have a go.

I'm a cop and I own two GTA games - where sometimes you just have to kill the cops cause they just wont leave you alone.

Nov 2007
Prague, Czech Republic
[quote name='Dr.Knuckles' date='24 August 2009 - 06:38 AM' timestamp='1251088681' post='10349']

66 views and no responses. I guess my "I doubt Americans will really care" reaction was correct.

[/quote]

Forget about killing Germans; there are already plenty of World War II games where you can play either side. I'm sure many of us have enjoyed dropping a nuke on the Pentagon whilst commanding the armies of the Brotherhood of Nod or laying waste to New York with a Soviet invasion force.

The games developer's just doing this as a cunning marketing strategy - they know that some people who would never have bought the game anyway will get irate about the idea and complain in public, all of which leads to forum posts like this one bringing the game to the attention of other people who might buy it.

Jan 2007
If its a crappy game with a crappy game engine no amount of hype will get people to buy it. Money is tight and people aren't going to waste money on crappy games if there are better alternatives.

Jun 2006
Vancouver
And I'm having a hard time imagining it being all that good. Unless there were half-naked Cuban zombie ninja strippers doing the waterboarding.

In fact, the guy who was actually imprisoned there should be the one offended at their making light of it. But I don't imagine he had many other job offers to choose from.

Nov 2005
Richmond Va
[quote name='Sparta' date='24 August 2009 - 07:12 AM' timestamp='1251112334' post='10391']

If it comes out for PS3 I'll have a go at killing me some capitalist swine.

[/quote]

Who owns a PS3?

Sep 2006
Houston, Tx
[quote name='Dr.Knuckles' date='23 August 2009 - 11:10 AM' timestamp='1251043845' post='9922']

http://theopinionator.typepad.com/my_weblog/2009/06/former-gitmo-detainee-becomes-xbox-star-1.html

Scottish game developer hires ex Gitmo prisoner as consultant on their "shoot you way out of Gitmo" x-box game. Think about it. You're the detainee and you run around gunning down Americans in an attempt to escape the prison.

It sounds sick, twisted, revolting and.... oh wait. Anyone remember Full Spectrum Warrior, America's Army, Conflict, Ghost Recon or any of the gabillion other games where you can wander around killing towelheads?

You can kill more Germans by owning an x-box for 5 years than actually died in WW2.

They talk about the anticipated negative reaction int he States, but I don't think so. I think North Americans are so de-sensitized the Yanks will just pick up the controller and have a go.

I'm a cop and I own two GTA games - where sometimes you just have to kill the cops cause they just wont leave you alone.

[/quote]

I like missle command. You know the old 80's game with the track ball ?

I would play as the Soviets if I wasn't feeling patriotic that day. Or I would pretend I was sacrificing Canada for the greater good of man by letting the missles come in completly unabated.

You know Eugenics on a grand scale. J/K Knuckles.

Jun 2006
Vancouver
You must have been kidding 6, even if we did have a missile defence system (which we don't), our military would be far too concerned with the wellfare of the asteroids to shoot them down heartlessly for our own greedy salvation.

What are we, animals?

I used my paddle ball for that castle game. A castle in each corner and you 'pong' a ball around trying to break down the other 3 guys' castles. brilliant. I'd play that today if I had 3 friends.