Evangelicals chafe at Trump’s blasphemy: "Using the Lord’s name in vain"

Feb 2010
USA
I see no evidence that Trump is saved.

Trump is not my savior, but he's my president
But the Bible also says to avoid leaders who are massively immoral. It assumes that most political leaders, like emperors and kings, will not be selected by people, but where such a choice IS possible, selecting an immoral leader makes no sense. And Trump is immoral in just about every way it is possible to be immoral. God didn't choose Donald Trump, the American electoral process did. And evangelical Christians had an outsized role in that choice. And Trump is what they chose.

Jul 2019
Heartland
But the Bible also says to avoid leaders who are massively immoral. It assumes that most political leaders, like emperors and kings, will not be selected by people, but where such a choice IS possible, selecting an immoral leader makes no sense. And Trump is immoral in just about every way it is possible to be immoral. God didn't choose Donald Trump, the American electoral process did. And evangelical Christians had an outsized role in that choice. And Trump is what they chose.
The Bible says that God appoints all rulers.

Do you remember the crazy black preacher who was always posting anti-Obama signs on his church? I wonder if the God character is pissed at him for his blasphemy?
anti obama signs at church - Google Search:

Mar 2019
Down a back road turn south on a gravel drive
You should read about King David in the Old Testament. God said he's was a man after his own heart. David knew God, yet he still committed adultery and then in order to hide it had Uriah sent to the front in battle and everyone retreat so he would be killed.

Feb 2010
USA
The Bible was never applied to a democracy or a republic. Such systems were inconceivable to them.

Do you remember the crazy black preacher who was always posting anti-Obama signs on his church? I wonder if the God character is pissed at him for his blasphemy?
I'm sure I have no idea. And no idea what that has to do with this thread. The fate of a "crazy black preacher' doesn't matter much in the grand scheme of things. The POTUS does.

Mar 2019
Down a back road turn south on a gravel drive

Lol, I love pastor Manning!

He cracks me up! He's right on some things though

There's one where these homosexuals are protesting his church on the sidewalk. Lol, the speech he gave them was epic!

Feb 2010
USA
You should read about King David in the Old Testament. God said he's was a man after his own heart. David knew God, yet he still committed adultery and then in order to hide it had Uriah sent to the front in battle and everyone retreat so he would be killed.
But David pursued righteousness the best way he knew how. Does this president do that? Does Trump have David's depth of soul? Are their sins equivalent, really? In short, was David defined by being a self-indulgent prick? If you think he was, then your comparison is valid.

BTW, it's been done before. A famous long poem in English, "Absolom and Achitophel" by John Dryden, makes the comparison between David and King Charles II. Thing is, Charles was selling out his country while being defended in this way. Our constitutional rules about "emoluments" come partly from fears that presidents will act as Charles did, allowing other countries to feather his royal nest.

The "it's okay whatever I do because David slept with a whore" comparison has been done to death, really.