Evangelicals sue for right to deny shelter to homeless transgender people

Dec 2015
In Your Heart!
Evangelicals sue for right to deny shelter to homeless transgender people
By Bil Browning

"Alliance Defending Freedom, the far-right evangelical legal group that defended the “right” of a baker to deny service to gay couples before the Supreme Court, has a new target."
"This time they’re suing to give a homeless shelter in Anchorage, Alaska, the “right” to deny help to transgender people. The federal court lawsuit seeks to overturn the city’s nondiscrimination ordinance that prohibits discrimination against LGBTQ people."
"ADF attorney Ryan Tucker told the court that many of the shelter’s residents are survivors of domestic violence and “they would rather sleep in the woods” in the frigid Alaskan winter than share space with a transgender woman. Temperatures in the city in the past week have hovered around zero degrees Fahrenheit."

#########################################################################
First we learned that some evangelicals wanted Gays removed from an Anti-Lynching Bill. Now it's this. Once again we just have to ask ourselves just who are those so-called "evangelicals" actually working for? Certainly not for Jesus Christ in following the principles and directives He set forth for man in loving and helping their fellow man. Such hate has to come from God's enemy down below. When they would want to deny homeless people shelter help, especially in the cold Winter, that is pretty low. God cannot be pleased by that action by any means. As to domestic violence survivors that would rather sleep outside that is entirely their problem and personal preference. That should not preclude the transgender community from being helped in any way shape or form because some are prejudiced and wish to discriminate against them. Let's hope that the courts see that poor homeless people should not be discriminated against by others simply due to who they are and what gender they identify with.

Chief

Former Staff
Nov 2009
SoCal
This is not such a simple issue.

I am not going to comment on gender dysphoria, which I know very little about. But if one has the genitals of a male, I can understand how another person who has the genitals of a female and is the victim of abuse, can be concerned about cohabitating.

I certainly don't want to see either sleeping in the woods and I do not immediately have any suggestion to remedy this, but I think that this is not simply a matter of religious rights or some such thing.

Jan 2019
Midwest
Thread Derailing
Gotta hand it to a radicalized religion the republican created to hate people of transgender issues. And why aren't you more concerned with women being raped in the military by their fellow soldiers?

Reactions: DemoWhip
Dec 2015
In Your Heart!

I am not going to comment on gender dysphoria, which I know very little about. But if one has the genitals of a male, I can understand how another person who has the genitals of a female and is the victim of abuse, can be concerned about cohabitating.

I certainly don't want to see either sleeping in the woods and I do not immediately have any suggestion to remedy this, but I think that this is not simply a matter of religious rights or some such thing.
Then I would suggest that the evangelicals that don't want transgendered people cohabitating with the other folks raise enough money to fund a place for them to stay.

Jan 2015
Great State of Texas

It's very simple to the Left.

They believe homeless men should have access to homeless women despite the potential for abuse.

It's just who they are.

Jan 2015
Great State of Texas
Then I would suggest that the evangelicals that don't want transgendered people cohabitating with the other folks raise enough money to fund a place for them to stay.
That's really lame.

It's not just Evangelicals.

All normal thinking people, religious or not, understand this issue.

Chief

Former Staff
Nov 2009
SoCal
Gotta hand it to a radicalized religion the republican created to hate people of transgender issues. And why aren't you more concerned with women being raped in the military by their fellow soldiers?
Start a thread about military rapes. That's off topic on this thread, so you can't use that to try to shut me up.

This doesn't have to be religious even. If there is a woman in a shelter because she was raped, should she get to chose whether or not she is comfortable bunking with a person who has gender dysphoria and a penis? That raped woman's feelings on the matter ought to count also.

That does not in any way judge the person with gender dysphoria, that's simply using common sense and compassion in equal measures. The world doesn't fit into nice easy boxes where everything can be easily determined to be right or wrong. Issues like this are complicated.

Chief

Former Staff
Nov 2009
SoCal
Why is it their responsibility specifically? What is the percentage of shelter victims that would use that service? If the percentage is very small, then it may be too expensive to have a separate site. So what is a good solution? Shut it down and support no one?

Jan 2015
Great State of Texas
Give it a rest, John. We already know you hate and do not care about people who are not like you. You do not, nearly every time you open your mouth, need to keep spewing the same garbage.
Isn't this really about people you hate that aren't like you?

Of course it is.

Why would anyone ignore the safety of women if it weren't really about you?

Reactions: spyydrr