Everything You Always Wanted To Know About The SR-71

Sep 2011
aMEEErica
Here's my old craft, the F-111.

One thing that always puzzled me... The f-111 is a mach 2.5 penetration bomber, it was made to penetrate enemy air defenses and deliver significant ordinance like nuclear cruise missiles...

And I worked in the simulator, I never even touched one of the real copies.

But I could never get our bird past about mach 1.8... and this is under the most extreme conditions and advantage I could give it!

Also... the skin can only withstand 30 seconds @ 300 degrees F before the paint starts coming off, which you would reach long before I could get it to maximum...

Hope I'm not giving away any secrets here... :eek:

Thx :)

Jul 2018
North Carolina
Here's my old craft, the F-111.

One thing that always puzzled me... The f-111 is a mach 2.5 penetration bomber, it was made to penetrate enemy air defenses and deliver significant ordinance like nuclear cruise missiles...

And I worked in the simulator, I never even touched one of the real copies.

But I could never get our bird past about mach 1.8... and this is under the most extreme conditions and advantage I could give it!

Also... the skin can only withstand 30 seconds @ 300 degrees F before the paint starts coming off, which you would reach long before I could get it to maximum...

Hope I'm not giving away any secrets here... :eek:

From what I was told, the F111 was one loud Aircraft. The AF should have ordered them with mufflers. ;)

My Baby right here. Shh Don't say anything to my wife;)

800px-Lockheed_C-130_Hercules.jpg

Jan 2018
The greatest place in America, California
If you were in the field and saw one coming you would be dead before you could get your gun swung around.

Sep 2011
aMEEErica
From what I was told, the F111 was one loud Aircraft. The AF should have ordered them with mufflers. ;)

My Baby right here. Shh Don't say anything to my wife;)

View attachment 17787
It was, those were some very powerful engines and they often took off with the afterburner.

Our usual mission was to fly from Cannon (where the F-111 pilot was stationed, I bet he went through our sim shop many times) (good chance I met him myself...) fly over and nuke Albuquerque.

The F-4 was very loud too, often described as a "pig" we had some war games over at Holloman and were often blasted by F-4 jet wash while they are playing simulated Migs.

One thing that impressed me very much during those war rehearsals was watching MAC aircraft doing "military" takeoffs.

They hug the runway building up speed and "whoosh" those big craft are up @ 500 ft in an instant.

And whatever they are hauling better be strapped down and secure in there! lol.

Sep 2011
aMEEErica
Here is a rather detailed breakdown of the SRs engine function, that is one very complicated engine, makes my head hurt!

I never realized just how important those engine nacelles are, the craft couldn't do much more than an F-111 without them.

Jul 2018
North Carolina
Here is a rather detailed breakdown of the SRs engine function, that is one very complicated engine, makes my head hurt!

I never realized just how important those engine nacelles are, the craft couldn't do much more than an F-111 without them.

yes that aircraft was amazing no doubt.

However, Working on Hercs our running joke is that people that work on straight jets just suck and blow while turboprop troops screwed around the world. ;):winktongue:

Sep 2011
aMEEErica
One of the unique systems on th4e F-111 was the "TFR," "Terrain Following Radar."

This is much the reason the F-111 is a "penetration bomber" meant to sneak through rugged terrain at relatively high speed below enemy radar.

I had always heard stories about the early development, when they were just trying the system in the real world, pilots would panic thinking the system wouldn't clear a mountain peak, panic and hit the emergency autopilot release and crash for sure into the mountainside.

We also had an awesome system to help us get through air defenses, the "RHAWS," "Radar Homing and Warning System."

This would tell you when you are being "painted" by enemy radar, what kind of radar, hence what kind of threat, it's range and bearing, everything you need to know.

Every now and then I would get one of those "sharp" cadets... and let me tell you, those kids are indeed sharp, some I could not kill no matter how many missiles I shot at them, clusters of SAMS, kid gets through every time...

We ARE in pretty good hands in that regard folks!