Everything You Always Wanted To Know About The SR-71

Sep 2011
aMEEErica
The Herk definitely had it's own quirks / personality LOL.

The crash that one of my GI friends was involved with was caused by a dual rail lock malfunction. The Dual Rails are what hold the cargo pallets in place. They were performing a LAPES drop, and one of the locks malfunctioned and would not unlock. The parachute opened and obviously created a major drag on the aircraft. The Aircraft's airspeed was so slow they could not recover. She just stalled out and down she went. Really bad day for my friend.

On the Herk, as a Mx guy, I hated when the C-130E would do touch and goes on the parallel. The C-130E (Pope AFB) had an issue with the anti skid control valve which was prone to failure. That cause a lot of the main tires to blow out because the tire would just drag / skid due to the valve failure. Caused a lot of mx for us.
Wow, that just goes to show us that "Murphy" knew exactly what he was talking about: "If it can go wrong, it will go wrong."

Goes to show that there is danger all around in the service, even during peacetime.

A staff Sgt. once remarked that "The job of a peacetime force is to be ready..."

So true!

Yes indeed, once the aircraft goes under stall speed there is nothing to hold it up.

Also, jet engines at least have a way of flaming out.

The procedure to get an out of control fighter back on track is to deploy the drag chute to get the nose down, then open the "RAT", "Ram air Turbine" to get the engines restarted.

You better have some altitude when all this is going on, because punching out has it's own checklist.

We were usually at "angels 20," 20 thousand feet and that isn't really a whole lot to work with.

And yes indeed, tires are a pretty darn critical "control surface" when you need them, "WHAM!"

Thx :)

Sep 2011
aMEEErica
I hear ya. I can't remember if I told ya in another post / thread, but when I was at Pope for a while I was ready move ASAP. A good dude told me (I think one of the SSgt's) that if you go out and buy a car or home orders will come. After 5+ years at Pope I was willing to try almost anything LOL. I bought a truck, and like magic I saw orders two months later. My orders were for Ramstein, so I was sitting pretty after that, and I stayed overseas for another 12+ years and loved it.
I would have put in for Ramstein, that's the base I was thinking of.

My SSgt friend spent 6 years in Amsterdam the lucky bugger, but then he was sent to New Mexico and probably finished 20 years there.

Cannon is built right next to a cow town and the whole place smells like manure!

I lived off base for awhile at Holloman, rented a single-wide with a buddy, got tired of surprise inspections by "Maggot-head."

(our first shirt, of course...)

Mar 2018
Florida
That's actually really good advice Ms Frecks. My wife has told me numerous times get to off the computer, and stop watching all that crazy news on TV LOL.

I have done meditation / yoga / Tai Chi along with martial arts and it has worked wonders for myself.

However, my stress level is currently up a little bit as my beloved Carolina Panthers are playing like complete garbage right now. LOL
My Patriots are in soon. My Sox lost last night

Jul 2018
North Carolina
I would have put in for Ramstein, that's the base I was thinking of.

My SSgt friend spent 6 years in Amsterdam the lucky bugger, but then he was sent to New Mexico and probably finished 20 years there.

Cannon is built right next to a cow town and the whole place smells like manure!

I lived off base for awhile at Holloman, rented a single-wide with a buddy, got tired of surprise inspections by "Maggot-head."

(our first shirt, of course...)

I did the same thing at Pope. There was a shortage of rooms in the dorms so they authorized SrA / Buck Sgt's to move off base. I got really lucky because not enough Buck Sgt's / SrA wanted to move off base, so I was one of the few A1C's who got authorized to live off base. :cool:.

I never understood dorm inspections. I mean is it really fair to inspect the dorms, but never inspect base housing? My answer would be no.

Sep 2011
aMEEErica
I did the same thing at Pope. There was a shortage of rooms in the dorms so they authorized SrA / Buck Sgt's to move off base. I got really lucky because not enough Buck Sgt's / SrA wanted to move off base, so I was one of the few A1C's who got authorized to live off base. :cool:.

I never understood dorm inspections. I mean is it really fair to inspect the dorms, but never inspect base housing? My answer would be no.
There is one time when we came really, really close to getting busted...

I worked mid shift at Holloman, my roomie Claude worked swings, so we were both home during the day.

At any time you might hear a key in your door with Sgt. Wilson at the other side.

Well, one day I'm getting a 35 cent Coke and here he comes down the hall, key in hand, the first room he comes across will be ours...

I'm about ready to put my hands over my eyes like someone witnessing an impending car crash, when I hear a voice from our CQ office, "Sgt. Wilson.. could I talk to you for a moment...?"

I scurried back to our room: "Claude, Claude... Maggot Head is coming and will be here any second! o_O

Claude puts the bong away and gets out the good ol' Lysol spray and starts wiping down the refrigerator while I scrambled furiously to put the place in order...

Meh... Maggot-Head said the fridge looked "pretty good."

And from then on we drilled a hole in the bolt of the door and put a safety pin in it.

Jul 2014
midwest
As long as everybody does their job correctly (including the Load master with his / her Form F for W&B) all is well. However, I do know a couple of people who have survived crashes, but that happened during a LAPES drop.

I have seen a couple of Hercs sitting on their tails a few times due to weather. If you don't chain them down in the winter time in places like AK because of the snow it will fall back on it's @$$ LOL. Also it became commonplace to chain them down over the weekends and / or during high wind conditions as a preventive measure to keep them from moving around.

That sounds like an Assault Takeoff. I have done numerous of those type maneuvers when it's prudent to get the heck out of dodge in a hurry. Also fun to do are Assault Landings where we would turn three tight spirals and then land in a hurry. Cool / cool stuff.
I saw a C-130 AND a DC-10 standing still, sitting on their tails side by side one time.

Nose wheels way up in the air.

Wish I'd had a camera.

Couldn't believe it.

It was because of Pinatabo.

The ash was so deep and so heavy.

Maybe those pics exist on the interweb somewhere...

Mar 2018
Florida
Tough not to be angry when criminals have total control in DC.
I probably take this more seriously than many others but I have always been a news junky.
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
And wisdom to know the difference. This Serenity Prayer is my mantra. I do have the power by educating myself and voting. However, I refuse to let this angry ugly atmosphere take over my life. Life is too short and precious.

Devil505

Former Staff
Jan 2008
Florida
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
And wisdom to know the difference. This Serenity Prayer is my mantra. I do have the power by educating myself and voting. However, I refuse to let this angry ugly atmosphere take over my life. Life is too short and precious.
You are a lot smarter than me!!

Devil505

Former Staff
Jan 2008
Florida
That's actually really good advice Ms Frecks. My wife has told me numerous times get to off the computer, and stop watching all that crazy news on TV LOL.

I have done meditation / yoga / Tai Chi along with martial arts and it has worked wonders for myself.

However, my stress level is currently up a little bit as my beloved Carolina Panthers are playing like complete garbage right now. LOL
My stress level will be higher watching the Pats tonight.
Trump can't watch football because he's sure they're talking about HIM in the huddles!!