Ex-ambassador worried abt Trump-Putin meeting

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
President Donald Trump is scheduled to meet with Russian President Vladimir Putin on July 16th. Trump has indicated he plans to meet one-on-one, worrying Russia experts that he’ll come unprepared and concede too much to Putin, widely considered to be savvier than Trump, or at least far more likely to do his research before meetings.

On Wednesday, MSNBC spoke to Michael McFaul, who served as ambassador to Russia during the Obama administration.

“I think it’s a bad idea for America” McFaul said, when asked about the prospect of the two men meeting without aides.

McFaul is worried the President will be outmatched by Putin and that if they meet alone, we won’t know what transpires.

“I was in the room,” McFaul said of the meetings between Putin and Obama.

McFaul is scared that the President will give away too much without getting anything in return, especially when it comes to Russian presence in Crimea and US presence in Syria. McFaul also expressed concern that the President will mistreat NATO allies.

“As he becomes more comfortable being President he’s going in his own way against the interests of the administration and I would say the United States of America,” McFaul concluded.

[video=youtube;CaHZFIBh3gI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaHZFIBh3gI[/video]
WATCH: Ex-ambassador to Russia explains why Trump will work ‘against the interests of America’ at Putin meeting

Interesting.

P.S. Yeah, it's "Raw Story", which, I knew, some here don't like as a source. Well, deal with it. That's the one I came across, so I'm posting it. I don't like "Breitbart", yet it too is tolerated here, these days :smiley-shrug: