Exclusive: Studies find 'super bacteria' in Rio's Olympic venues, top beaches

Dec 2006
In the Witness Protection Program
Scientists have found dangerous drug-resistant "super bacteria" off beaches in Rio de Janeiro that will host Olympic swimming events and in a lagoon where rowing and canoe athletes will compete when the Games start on Aug. 5.
The findings from two unpublished academic studies seen by Reuters concern Rio's most popular spots for tourists and greatly increase the areas known to be infected by the microbes normally found only in hospitals.
They also heighten concerns that Rio's sewage-infested waterways are unsafe.
Exclusive: Studies find 'super bacteria' in Rio's Olympic venues, top beaches | Reuters

I think it might be time to pull the plug on these Olympic Games. It's just not worth it. :(

And the wing nuts thought Chicago would be a bad place to host the games.

Jul 2015
Florida
Think about it! What happens as the oceans and feeders to and from the ocean and streams and lakes and and and as the EARTH WARMS UP. Anyone else see a correlation besides me??

Jul 2014
Border Fence
Somehow people do not believe we are all inter-connected.

That somehow building a wall insulates us from the world. It is a panacea to believe what happens 1/2 way around the world will have no eventual effect on us.

a bunker mentality says...stay alive when everything worth living for has been utterly destroyed. do nothing to stop the destruction...but be prepared enough to live a couple of years beyond the devastation.

Last edited:

Wonderer

Council Hall
May 2014
Missouri
Interesting.

To my knowledge there has never been Olympic Games cancelled.
Yes, there has:

1916 Summer Olympics; 1940 Summer & Winter Olympics; 1944 Summer & Winter Olympics. (All due to war.)

Then there was the 1980 US boycott of the Summer Olympics in Moscow.

May 2012
By the wall
Yes, there has:

1916 Summer Olympics; 1940 Summer & Winter Olympics; 1944 Summer & Winter Olympics. (All due to war.)

Then there was the 1980 US boycott of the Summer Olympics in Moscow.
Ahhhh, I was referring to health risks though. I would be curious if anyone knows of any.

Tedminator

Former Staff
Jun 2010
South Florida
Interesting.

To my knowledge there has never been Olympic Games cancelled.
The 1940 Summer Olympics, officially known as the Games of the XII Olympiad and originally scheduled to be held from 21 September to 6 October 1940, in Tokyo, Japan, were cancelled due to the outbreak of World War II.

Olympic Games abandoned due to war
1916 Summer Olympics
1940 Summer Olympics
1940 Winter Olympics
1944 Summer Olympics
1944 Winter Olympics

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1940_Summer_Olympics

May 2012
By the wall
Well I would recommend they don't swim.

Lots of implications here such as how will this influence future sites of the Olympic Games. Must a nation be "green" to host the olympics.

Very interesting indeed.