F-35 Where do we go from here?

Jul 2018
North Carolina
Where do we go?

South Carolina is where we go, to pick up the pieces, and try to figure out what happened.
Just crashed today, and only a day or two after the first F-35 saw combat.

Could be a while before we know what happened.
Hadn't heard that. This will be interesting to find out what happened. Crashes happen, that's reality.

I do know when a crash happens the world stops for the owning Squadron. I unfortunately was witness to a couple of crashes when I was stationed at Pope AFB NC back in the 90’s. The most vivid one I remember was when a F-16 clipped the tail of a C-130 and the F16 barreled into the C-141 killing those 82nd Airborne guys at the end of the Ramp. Those guys had no chance. Really bad day for everybody involved.

Jan 2007
Where do we go?

South Carolina is where we go, to pick up the pieces, and try to figure out what happened.

F-35 crashed today, pilot got out, and that's the good news.

This was a B model, the Marine Corps version.

Or, as President Obama would say "Marine Corpse" version.

Oh well, over $100 million down the drain...
F35B is a very complex aircraft so I hope there isn't some design flaw. The B model caused compromises to the A model. Trying to have a do everything air frame causes lots of issues.

Jul 2014
midwest
F35B is a very complex aircraft so I hope there isn't some design flaw. The B model caused compromises to the A model. Trying to have a do everything air frame causes lots of issues.
They have not yet builot the airplane that won't crash.

And new airplanes are especially prone to problems.

This coulda been due to pilot error, mechanical failure, weather, something else, or a combination of factors.

I hope they find the reason and correct it, if possible.

Jul 2014
midwest
I do know when a crash happens the world stops for the owning Squadron. I unfortunately was witness to a couple of crashes when I was stationed at Pope AFB NC back in the 90’s. The most vivid one I remember was when a F-16 clipped the tail of a C-130 and the F16 barreled into the C-141 killing those 82nd Airborne guys at the end of the Ramp. Those guys had no chance. Really bad day for everybody involved.
Yet, sometimes right after a crash is the safest time to fly.

Extra emphasis on safety after a crash...