Facebook rejects Bidens request to remove false Trump ads

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Weirdo
They need to pick their poison. If iTunes and the like didn't exist, music would be considerably more expensive, and piracy would skyrocket.

It is these new expansions that have to be checked hard, most of all. Suddenly Apple is a bank, Facebook is a ... matchmaker. I mean come on.
I hear you.

Music has actually dropped in cost (a bit) from its face value when retail sales led the way. With the advent of singles sales, subscription plans (spotify) and the like.
That market was dictated by sellers, not the people who make the music or the consumers.

A good example of this is if an artist wants to give something away for free using these distribution services, there is always someone wanting to collect a little.

iTunes should be independently run. I feel there is a conflict of interest when a tech/hardware company owns market share of a private industry.

I guess that illustrates why I said "and Apple."

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
Gotta love social media...Ugh.

In a letter to Joe Biden’s presidential campaign, Facebook doubled down on its policy to allow speech from politicians to go unchecked regardless of the truthfulness of their claims.

The letter, originally obtained by The New York Times, was a response to the Biden campaign’s request for Facebook to reject or demote ads from President Donald Trump’s re-election campaign that contain false claims. The Biden campaign’s original request to Facebook, addressed to CEO Mark Zuckerberg, COO Sheryl Sandberg and global elections policy chief Katie Harbath, pointed to an ad by the Trump campaign that contains a statement that has not been proven by evidence that the former vice president “offered Ukraine $1 billion to fire the prosecutor investigating a company affiliated with his son.”

“The allegation of corrupt motive has been demonstrated to be completely false,” the Biden campaign wrote, according to a copy of the letter posted online by a CNN reporter. The campaign said the claim should be covered by Facebook’s pledge to reject political ads with “previously debunked content.”

CNN had refused to air the ad, with a spokesperson telling NBC News last week, “it does not meet our advertising standards,” and that “the ad makes assertions that have been proven demonstrably false by various news outlets.” Other tech companies like Twitter and Google’s YouTube are running the Trump ad. Trump’s campaign spent over $1 million on Facebook ads in one week as it ramped up messaging against the House’s impeachment inquiry against Trump, ABC News reported.

False campaign ads are protected free speech, and Biden's remedy is a suit for defamation.

This doesn't mean Google, etc., violated the law when it refused to carry the deceitful ad, but it does mean SCOTUS has found Facebook's POV is not irrational.

Singularity

Oct 2009
Kansas
I hear you.

Music has actually dropped in cost (a bit) from its face value when retail sales led the way. With the advent of singles sales, subscription plans (spotify) and the like.
That market was dictated by sellers, not the people who make the music or the consumers.

A good example of this is if an artist wants to give something away for free using these distribution services, there is always someone wanting to collect a little.

iTunes should be independently run. I feel there is a conflict of interest when a tech/hardware company owns market share of a private industry.

I guess that illustrates why I said "and Apple."
I can't affirmatively disagree with you, aside from my grinding resentment toward the RIAA and leading music industry figures.

Throughout the 2000's, they engaged in an absolutely ruthless campaign against piracy. Bankrupted young kids and grandmas across the country.

So even if they're not being treated fairly, I struggle to sympathize with them.