Fact checking fact checkers

Sep 2019
Idaho
Fact is the vast majority of these so called fact check sites are nothing more than liberal operatives with a definite leftist agenda. People are waking up to that and I don't even bother to liberals in this forum that attempt to validate their statements or discredit mine with a fact check link. Learn to do your own research and think for yourselves children.

"More and more, major news outlets are relying on “fact checkers” to, allegedly, ensure that the news is factual, sources are reliable, and statements are accurate.

In theory, this is admirable. In practice, it has proven to be simply another opportunity for the media to push their leftist agenda.

Fact checking groups — such as PolitiFact — routinely cast judgments while failing to disclose their own left-wing bias. Their allies in the media try to cast these groups as neutral third parties when, in fact, they are card-carrying members of the liberal echo chamber.

It’s no wonder that the public has so little faith in the fact-checkers. A 2016 Rasmussen poll found that an astonishing 62% of American voters think the fact-check-ers are biased."

Nov 2007
Prague, Czech Republic
Fact is the vast majority of these so called fact check sites are nothing more than liberal operatives with a definite leftist agenda. People are waking up to that and I don't even bother to liberals in this forum that attempt to validate their statements or discredit mine with a fact check link. Learn to do your own research and think for yourselves children.

"More and more, major news outlets are relying on “fact checkers” to, allegedly, ensure that the news is factual, sources are reliable, and statements are accurate.

In theory, this is admirable. In practice, it has proven to be simply another opportunity for the media to push their leftist agenda.

Fact checking groups — such as PolitiFact — routinely cast judgments while failing to disclose their own left-wing bias. Their allies in the media try to cast these groups as neutral third parties when, in fact, they are card-carrying members of the liberal echo chamber.

It’s no wonder that the public has so little faith in the fact-checkers. A 2016 Rasmussen poll found that an astonishing 62% of American voters think the fact-check-ers are biased."

I went to have a look at the fuller context of this quote, only to discover, to my horror, that there is none. That's the whole article, right there in the OP.

Could have saved yourself some characters:

"I don't like fact checkers. Discuss."

Personally, my favourite fact-checker is FullFact. Far too many fact checking websites rely on a system whereby they judge things to be 'true' or 'false'; inherited from Snopes, back in the days when it started out as a website about urban myths. But this 'True/False' concept is a straijacket that leads to them unnecessarily simplifying complex and nuanced statements. FullFact has no rating system; it simply takes claims and thoughtfully evaluates them, without the need to fit this evaluation onto an arbitrary truth scale.

It's primarily focused on British politics only, but I think the US needs a FullFact.

Reactions: Dangermouse
Sep 2019
Idaho
Also helpful to know who's running these outfits. Factcheck.org for instance.

"The fact is, the ANNENBERG Public Policy Center (APPC), the sponsoring agency behind FastCheck.org, is itself supported by the same foundation, the ANNENBERG FOUNDATION, that Bill Ayers secured the 49.2 million dollars from to create the Chicago ANNENBERG Challenge “philanthropic” organization in which Barack Obama was the founding Chairman of the Board for and Ayers served as the grant writer of and co-Chair of for its two operating arms"

Reactions: jenniel
Sep 2019
Idaho
I went to have a look at the fuller context of this quote, only to discover, to my horror, that there is none. That's the whole article, right there in the OP.

Could have saved yourself some characters:

"I don't like fact checkers. Discuss."

Personally, my favourite fact-checker is FullFact. Far too many fact checking websites rely on a system whereby they judge things to be 'true' or 'false'; inherited from Snopes, back in the days when it started out as a website about urban myths. But this 'True/False' concept is a straijacket that leads to them unnecessarily simplifying complex and nuanced statements. FullFact has no rating system; it simply takes claims and thoughtfully evaluates them, without the need to fit this evaluation onto an arbitrary truth scale.

It's primarily focused on British politics only, but I think the US needs a FullFact.
You didn't go far enough in the article. What followed was multiple fact checks of fact checks.

"The Washington Post Fact Checker team promises "We will strive to be dispassionate and non-partisan, drawing attention to inaccurate statements on both left and right. But we also fact check what matters -- and what matters are people in power." Eyeroll, please! On Thursday, Glenn Kessler and Salvador Rizzo posted an article titled "Fact-checking lawmakers’ claims during the Mueller hearings." They picked on six legislators as dubious....and all six were Republicans. "

Last edited:
Reactions: Izzshemovin
Sep 2019
Idaho
SOOOOOOOO, we have one "fact-checking" website calling every other "fact-checking" website biased ?? LOLOLOLOL

An organization established specifically for the purpose of "exposing left-wing bias in media" Even funnier not to mention hysterically hypocritical !!!!
They give examples if you care to read them. Such as:

"The astringently humorless "fact check" squad at Snopes.com just keeps ripping the Babylon Bee website, painting their satire as "misinformation." This time, Ellie Gardey at the Daily Caller forced Snopes to revise their "fact check" and add actual facts"

Aug 2018
Vancouver

The only people who have any problem with the fact checkers are the brainless ideologues who don't like what they see there.