Fake News Hoaxes

Tedminator

Former Staff
Jun 2010
South Florida
Hah.. thought so. Didnt make sense to me that hot food shouldnt be put in fridge, so glad I looked it up. err, cause I wanna go sleep and food is hot. Mmm extra yummy beef stew and boiled potatoes :)

Myth: Hot food will spoil if refrigerated before cooling to room temperature.

Facts: Just the opposite. Give your fridge some credit. It’s designed to chill food and keep it cold. It can even protect you from getting sick, so there’s no need to be shy about letting it do its job.

“Time plus warmer temperatures equals growth of bacteria,” says Shelley Feist, executive director of the nonprofit Partnership for Food Safety Education. In other words, leaving food out at room temperature encourages bacteria to thrive. “We have what’s called the two-hour rule: Food should only be out for two hours before it’s put in the refrigerator,” says Feist.

Myth Buster: Should you let hot food cool before refrigerating? - AARP Bulletin

Dec 2014
Opal mining
Hah.. thought so. Didnt make sense to me that hot food shouldnt be put in fridge, so glad I looked it up. err, cause I wanna go sleep and food is hot. Mmm extra yummy beef stew and boiled potatoes :)

Facts: Just the opposite. Give your fridge some credit. It’s designed to chill food and keep it cold. It can even protect you from getting sick, so there’s no need to be shy about letting it do its job.

“Time plus warmer temperatures equals growth of bacteria,” says Shelley Feist, executive director of the nonprofit Partnership for Food Safety Education. In other words, leaving food out at room temperature encourages bacteria to thrive. “We have what’s called the two-hour rule: Food should only be out for two hours before it’s put in the refrigerator,” says Feist.

Myth Buster: Should you let hot food cool before refrigerating? - AARP Bulletin

I remember a Chef once told me that Chicken should be allowed to cool to room temperature before refrigeration in order to prevent the growth of bacteria.

I'm glad I never listened to him.

Tedminator

Former Staff
Jun 2010
South Florida
I remember a Chef once told me that Chicken should be allowed to cool to room temperature before refrigeration in order to prevent the growth of bacteria.

I'm glad I never listened to him.
hah same. a cook told me to let food cool first. You should tell 'Chef' he's been downgraded to 'cook' for spreading deadly fake news.

Jun 2013
Here
Never thought about bacteria, because it always made sense that we put things in refrigerators at any time to slow and reduce the growth of bacteria, I let things cool a bit to avoid cracking anything with temps that are too extreme. It should go without saying that it wouldn't be a good idea to put a pot of soup hot off the burner or roasted something hot out of the oven into the refrig to avoid bacteria growth. Even if something didn't crack or melt, the hotter something is, the more energy is needed to cool it (heat transfer) in a refrigerator. I think letting things cool a bit, not necessarily to room temp., before tossing in the refrig, might save energy, something from cracking or melting and not allow a lot of bacteria to form before slowing its growth in the refrig. Not that you would put a pan/pot/casserole that was 300 degrees in a refrig, but someone might.

In addition, we don't stick something in the oven or on the stove for a period of time to grow bacteria, but generally to take it to a temperature that will kill harmful bacteria. Again, not something that has to be explained to most people, but without further explanation some people misinterpret or forget things like letting something cool a bit, not all the way to room temp., rather than taking it directly from the oven or on the stove top to put in the refrig.

Basically I think it's a question of how "hot" can something be and still be put in the refrig without damage.

Last edited:

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
My fave is still the one where major news outlets were reporting that NoKo media reported that they had landed a man on the sun.

The claim actually came from a parody sight on Twitter. Why it's funny is because there are so many bizarre claims the North Koreans actually do make that it's hard to tell the difference.

Jun 2014
United States

That's the wrong reason for letting food cool before refrigerating it. I don't put hot dishes in my refrigerator because I don't want the heat from the dish to spoil the other food items I keep there.

So, this amounts to a form of a straw-man argument based upon a false premise.

StanStill

Former Staff
Dec 2013
Work
That's the wrong reason for letting food cool before refrigerating it. I don't put hot dishes in my refrigerator because I don't want the heat from the dish to spoil the other food items I keep there.

So, this amounts to a form of a straw-man argument based upon a false premise.
Do you really think the heat from a hot dish will be enough to spoil something that has already cooled to 35 degrees in the refrigerator?

Maybe a whole hot turkey could spoil the last cup of milk if you could somehow fit it in a very small dorm room sized mini fridge, but aside from that extreme scenario, I think you'll be fine.

Jun 2014
United States
Do you really think the heat from a hot dish will be enough to spoil something that has already cooled to 35 degrees in the refrigerator?
Yes. I think that a 350 degree pot roast would significantly increase the temperature inside my refrigerator, even as the refrigerator struggled to compensate by running continuously.

On the other hand I absolutely do not believe that "hot food will spoil if refrigerated before cooling to room temperature". That's absurd nonsense. It is quite rational, however, to avoid putting hot food into the refrigerator.