Fake News Hoaxes

StanStill

Former Staff
Dec 2013
Work
Yes. I think that a 350 degree pot roast would significantly increase the temperature inside my refrigerator, even as the refrigerator struggled to compensate by running continuously.

On the other hand I absolutely do not believe that "hot food will spoil if refrigerated before cooling to room temperature". That's absurd nonsense. It is quite rational, however, to avoid putting hot food into the refrigerator.
Well I suppose that it might if you took the pot roast directly from the stove and put it in the refrigerator. I'm assuming by the time you served everyone who was going to be served (after letting the pot roast rest before cutting) the temperature would be much less anyway. At any rate, I'd be amazed if such a roast would raise the temp in your fridge to 45 degrees, and probably only for a half hour or so, after which time it would start to go down. Not nearly enough time to change the temperature of a half gallon of milk more than a degree or two at the most.

Trust me, you'll be fine. If the pot roast could raise the temperature in your fridge that much, your ice would melt.

Jul 2015
Florida
Hah.. thought so. Didnt make sense to me that hot food shouldnt be put in fridge, so glad I looked it up. err, cause I wanna go sleep and food is hot. Mmm extra yummy beef stew and boiled potatoes :)

Myth: Hot food will spoil if refrigerated before cooling to room temperature.

Facts: Just the opposite. Give your fridge some credit. It’s designed to chill food and keep it cold. It can even protect you from getting sick, so there’s no need to be shy about letting it do its job.

“Time plus warmer temperatures equals growth of bacteria,” says Shelley Feist, executive director of the nonprofit Partnership for Food Safety Education. In other words, leaving food out at room temperature encourages bacteria to thrive. “We have what’s called the two-hour rule: Food should only be out for two hours before it’s put in the refrigerator,” says Feist.

Myth Buster: Should you let hot food cool before refrigerating? - AARP Bulletin
I didn't think that was the reason--'spoiling'. I always though hot foods stuck in there brought down the temperature of the nearby foodstuffs and make the refrigerator work harder to compensate. It's one thing to put a bag of leftover veggies still hot in the bag but what about a pot of soup?

Jun 2011
God Bless Texas
It's also about taste for some things. Some things will not taste right if taken straight to the fridge after cooking/baking.

Jan 2019
Tempe, AZ