FBI document warns conspiracy theories are a new domestic terrorism threat

HayJenn

Former Staff
Jul 2014
CA
The FBI for the first time has identified fringe conspiracy theories as a domestic terrorist threat, according to a previously unpublicized document obtained by Yahoo News. (Read the document below.) The FBI intelligence bulletin from the bureau’s Phoenix field office, dated May 30, 2019, describes “conspiracy theory-driven domestic extremists,” as a growing threat, and notes that it is the first such report to do so. It lists a number of arrests, including some that haven’t been publicized, related to violent incidents motivated by fringe beliefs.

The document specifically mentions QAnon, a shadowy network that believes in a deep state conspiracy against President Trump, and Pizzagate, the theory that a pedophile ring including Clinton associates was being run out of the basement of a Washington, D.C., pizza restaurant (which didn’t actually have a basement).

“The FBI assesses these conspiracy theories very likely will emerge, spread, and evolve in the modern information marketplace, occasionally driving both groups and individual extremists to carry out criminal or violent acts,” the document states. It also goes on to say the FBI believes conspiracy theory-driven extremists are likely to increase during the 2020 presidential election cycle.

The FBI said another factor driving the intensity of this threat is “the uncovering of real conspiracies or cover-ups involving illegal, harmful, or unconstitutional activities by government officials or leading political figures.” The FBI does not specify which political leaders or which cover-ups it was referring to. President Trump is mentioned by name briefly in the latest FBI document, which notes that the origins of QAnon is the conspiratorial belief that “Q,” allegedly a government official, “posts classified information online to reveal a covert effort, led by President Trump, to dismantle a conspiracy involving ‘deep state’ actors and global elites allegedly engaged in an international child sex trafficking ring.”

Exclusive: FBI document warns conspiracy theories are a new domestic terrorism threat

Good to see the FBI do this

Seems like to me, a lot of people have lost their critical thinking skills lately and just "believe" stuff that fit's their bias.

Along with some media outlet's pushing this kind of stuff.

I hope people can learn that it sounds like something completely out of left field, it probably is.

This "deep state" stuff is flat out dangerous.

Jul 2017
U.S.A.
As if the world doesn't know this already.

Exclusive: FBI document warns conspiracy theories are a new domestic terrorism threat

The FBI for the first time has identified fringe conspiracy theories as a domestic terrorist threat, according to a previously unpublicized document obtained by Yahoo News. (Read the document below.)

The FBI intelligence bulletin from the bureau’s Phoenix field office, dated May 30, 2019, describes “conspiracy theory-driven domestic extremists,” as a growing threat, and notes that it is the first such report to do so. It lists a number of arrests, including some that haven’t been publicized, related to violent incidents motivated by fringe beliefs.

The document specifically mentions QAnon, a shadowy network that believes in a deep state conspiracy against President Trump, and Pizzagate, the theory that a pedophile ring including Clinton associates was being run out of the basement of a Washington, D.C., pizza restaurant (which didn’t actually have a basement).
“The FBI assesses these conspiracy theories very likely will emerge, spread, and evolve in the modern information marketplace, occasionally driving both groups and individual extremists to carry out criminal or violent acts,” the document states. It also goes on to say the FBI believes conspiracy theory-driven extremists are likely to increase during the 2020 presidential election cycle.

Jul 2017
U.S.A.
The FBI for the first time has identified fringe conspiracy theories as a domestic terrorist threat, according to a previously unpublicized document obtained by Yahoo News. (Read the document below.) The FBI intelligence bulletin from the bureau’s Phoenix field office, dated May 30, 2019, describes “conspiracy theory-driven domestic extremists,” as a growing threat, and notes that it is the first such report to do so. It lists a number of arrests, including some that haven’t been publicized, related to violent incidents motivated by fringe beliefs.

The FBI said another factor driving the intensity of this threat is “the uncovering of real conspiracies or cover-ups involving illegal, harmful, or unconstitutional activities by government officials or leading political figures.” The FBI does not specify which political leaders or which cover-ups it was referring to. President Trump is mentioned by name briefly in the latest FBI document, which notes that the origins of QAnon is the conspiratorial belief that “Q,” allegedly a government official, “posts classified information online to reveal a covert effort, led by President Trump, to dismantle a conspiracy involving ‘deep state’ actors and global elites allegedly engaged in an international child sex trafficking ring.”

Seems like to me, a lot of people have lost their critical thinking skills lately and just "believe" stuff that fit's their bias.

I hope people can learn that it sounds like something completely out of left field, it probably is.

Look what the Trump Cult has become.
Supporters of the world's despots.
A true 'Patriot' would be calling for the head of anyone that made arms deals with the very people that took out our Twin Towers,
and there's the Putin support?

Jul 2015
Florida
I saw that earlier and I don't doubt it for a second. Sadly!

(I admit Hay, I've been waiting for a 'big one'. A domestic TERRORIST event. I hesitate to type it and pray I'm wrong. Saying it would be RW would be redundant).

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio

What business does the FBI have in policing ideas? Pure speech?

I can see tracking Pizzagate on the internet so that potential new domestic terrorists can be uncovered, but those are people who commit violent/illegal acts. Not people who speak "fringe conspiracy" ideas to others online.

HayJenn

Former Staff
Jul 2014
CA
What business does the FBI have in policing ideas? Pure speech?

I can see tracking Pizzagate on the internet so that potential new domestic terrorists can be uncovered, but those are people who commit violent/illegal acts. Not people who speak "fringe conspiracy" ideas to others online.
They are not arresting anyone for merely believing in nutter theories, but some who do believe in them have committed violence. So I don't how that anything to do with "speech"

A dude went in the Pizza Place and shot it up.

And this, from the link

t lists a number of arrests, including some that haven’t been publicized, related to violent incidents motivated by fringe beliefs.

So yeah, I'm trusting the FBI to make legit arrest's due to the violence any of these people cause.

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
I saw that earlier and I don't doubt it for a second. Sadly!

(I admit Hay, I've been waiting for a 'big one'. A domestic TERRORIST event. I hesitate to type it and pray I'm wrong. Saying it would be RW would be redundant).
People who commit crimes inspired by extreme beliefs that confound reality probably share certain personality traits, but I'm not sure their political views are so homogeneous, or even matter very much.

I believe our government engages in various covert activities that are violations of human rights, and we must always be vigilant against abuse of power.

Blah, blah, blah.

Not very different from an Ohio militia member as to my core beliefs about government, but I cannot be pushed by current events to break the law, nevermind commit violence. And militia members can be. YEARN to be.

I don't thonk ANY form of censorship or suppression of ideas is a cure for this.

Rev. Hellh0und

Former Staff
Jul 2011
315 bowery/DMS
Look what the Trump Cult has become.
Supporters of the world's despots.
A true 'Patriot' would be calling for the head of anyone that made arms deals with the very people that took out our Twin Towers,
and there's the Putin support?

Cool show the forum when you got pissed off when obama sold weapons to saudis, or his AG ran guns to the mexican cartels.

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
They are not arresting anyone for merely believing in nutter theories, but some who do believe in them have committed violence. So I don't how that anything to do with "speech"

A dude went in the Pizza Place and shot it up.

And this, from the link

t lists a number of arrests, including some that haven’t been publicized, related to violent incidents motivated by fringe beliefs.

So yeah, I'm trusting the FBI to make legit arrest's due to the violence any of these people cause.
But your Op article describes the FBI as newly regarding fringe conspiracy theories as A THREAT.

Presumably that signals some new behavior by the FBI.

Reactions: DairyHeiress