FBI foils planned 4th of July attack in Cleveland

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
FBI officials have arrested a man who discussed setting off a bomb during a Fourth of July event in Cleveland, the bureau’s top agent in the Ohio city said on Monday.

The man, who had expressed allegiance to the al Qaeda militant group, was arrested on Sunday after a meeting with an undercover FBI agent where he said he planned to plant a bomb at the event celebrating the U.S. Independence Day holiday and would also target other locations in Cleveland and Philadelphia.

“What would hit them in the core? ... Blow up. Have a bomb. Blow up at the Fourth of July parade,” the suspect said, according to Stephen Anthony, the FBI’s head agent in Cleveland. Anthony also told a news conference that the man was “willing to chop off hands and heads.”

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...-to-bomb-cleveland-july-4-event-idUSKBN1JS1DJ

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
He's probably just an AQ sympathizer. I doubt he was working for or with them.
I doubt that matters anymore. It only takes one lone wolf to create chaos. Organized large attacks are pretty old school and easier to detect. They learned they just get a temporary reaction. But one man lone wolf attacks more often work better.

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
I doubt that matters anymore. It only takes one lone wolf to create chaos. Organized large attacks are pretty old school and easier to detect. They learned they just get a temporary reaction. But one man lone wolf attacks more often work better.
I'm just pointing out that AQ's power is pretty diminished and he's most likely not a member of AQ. But you're right, these kinds of attacks can be very successful.

May 2016
california
There's a recent Sacramento video of a guy on a bike throwing a Molotov cocktail into the woods for yet another fire in the region. He got away but one guy can do a lot of damage, whether they're working for someone else or just on their own. But I'd be more impressed by the FBI if they had caught the 911 hijackers, not just a guy in Cleveland that was stupid enough to talk with undercover agents.