Federal Employee Civil Relief Act

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Colorado
Democrats Introduce Bill To Shield Unpaid Federal Workers From Lenders And Landlords | HuffPost

The Federal Employee Civil Relief Act, introduced by Sen. Brian Schatz (D-Hawaii) and Rep. Derek Kilmer (D-Wash.), aims to give those workers a helping hand while the government remains shuttered.
The bill would prohibit landlords and creditors from taking action against federal workers or contractors who are hurt by the shutdown and cannot pay rent or repay loans. It would also allow federal workers to sue creditors or landlords that violate those protections, which would remain in effect during and for 30 days after a shutdown.
What do you think about this?

IMO protecting our economy is vital, even during a shutdown. We start foreclosing homes or sending loans to collections and we're going to have a bigger mess inside the US than at the border.

I live in a city that is populated by government/military workers. Our local economy is often blamed on the stability of those workers, both good and bad.

If this continues and workers suffer under normal conditions, the economy of cities like these can suffer greatly. Housing and property values drop, for starters. Which isn't great for anyone living/buying in the city.

Nov 2013
NY
Democrats Introduce Bill To Shield Unpaid Federal Workers From Lenders And Landlords | HuffPost

IMO protecting our economy is vital, even during a shutdown. We start foreclosing homes or sending loans to collections and we're going to have a bigger mess inside the US than at the border.

I live in a city that is populated by government/military workers. Our local economy is often blamed on the stability of those workers, both good and bad.

If this continues and workers suffer under normal conditions, the economy of cities like these can suffer greatly. Housing and property values drop, for starters. Which isn't great for anyone living/buying in the city.
So, the argument is gov worker should not suffer from Trump.
The solution then is, to kick the suffering down one block, and let the landlord of the gov worker suffer instead ?

Yeah, sorry.. i'm not following.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire

I like the idea but what about teachers that go on strike and dont get paid? I can see where this could happen in other industries and they will want the same treatment.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
The solution then is, to kick the suffering down one block, and let the landlord of the gov worker suffer instead ?

Thats a good point, not all landlords are wealthy barons. Now they arent getting paid. It will ripple.

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Colorado

Yep, you followed it perfectly. That's exactly what this says.

Point of perspective - in a generally bad economy everyone suffers below 99%. Break a few eggs to make an omelette comes to mind.

Feb 2010
between Moon and NYC

Interesting proposal. But may be a little more sensational/dramatic than historical statistics would support.

It typically takes months to evict a renter. Foreclosures don't happen for a lot longer than that. And landlords/lenders are reluctant to do either since they almost always lose money by the process. Landlords/bankers are typically going to go out of their way to keep good clients....not boot them.

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Colorado
Interesting proposal. But may be a little more sensational/dramatic than historical statistics would support.

It typically takes months to evict a renter. Foreclosures don't happen for a lot longer than that. And landlords/lenders are reluctant to do either since they almost always lose money by the process. Landlords/bankers are typically going to go out of their way to keep good clients....not boot them.

Those are great points.

Jan 2019
Midwest

I approve of it. Why would we allow workers to not get paid when the boss closes them down?

Jan 2019
Midwest

Wow...so because these guys won't be evicted or foreclosed on for months, let's not pay them? I can't follow this logic at all. How are they at fault for Trump shutting the government down because he can't get his $5.7 BN for a wall?