Federal Employee Civil Relief Act

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Agreed. I think the benefits exceed the negatives but in reality it may not be so clean cut - as pointed out by Pragmatic's point.
I think short term it works well. But if it goes on and on it gets dicey. Then its more than landlords, it will extend to entire communities that rely on federal workers for their livings. Pizza guy, stores, doctors etc. Even the fed chair said if its prolonged it could affect the GDP.

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Colorado
I think short term it works well. But if it goes on and on it gets dicey. Then its more than landlords, it will extend to entire communities that rely on federal workers for their livings. Pizza guy, stores, doctors etc. Even the fed chair said if its prolonged it could affect the GDP.
Absolutely. The idea doesn't seem to have much long term legs.

HCProf

Sep 2014
USA
Democrats Introduce Bill To Shield Unpaid Federal Workers From Lenders And Landlords | HuffPost

What do you think about this?

IMO protecting our economy is vital, even during a shutdown. We start foreclosing homes or sending loans to collections and we're going to have a bigger mess inside the US than at the border.

I live in a city that is populated by government/military workers. Our local economy is often blamed on the stability of those workers, both good and bad.

If this continues and workers suffer under normal conditions, the economy of cities like these can suffer greatly. Housing and property values drop, for starters. Which isn't great for anyone living/buying in the city.
This is a must. The Government cannot be allowed to destroy peoples lives....especially people who are neutral and just want to live their lives. The States could kick in a little bit too. Everyone pays taxes and should get some protection. If this bill fails, then we truly should see that we are on our own and it really is a dog eat dog society.

HCProf

Sep 2014
USA
I like the idea but what about teachers that go on strike and dont get paid? I can see where this could happen in other industries and they will want the same treatment.
Teacher choose to strike. They have the option of getting paid. The Federal workers were told that they would not be getting paid but you still have to show up for work. The private sector employers can collect unemployment.

Oct 2018
Somewhere they can't find me.
Democrats Introduce Bill To Shield Unpaid Federal Workers From Lenders And Landlords | HuffPost

What do you think about this?

IMO protecting our economy is vital, even during a shutdown. We start foreclosing homes or sending loans to collections and we're going to have a bigger mess inside the US than at the border.

I live in a city that is populated by government/military workers. Our local economy is often blamed on the stability of those workers, both good and bad.

If this continues and workers suffer under normal conditions, the economy of cities like these can suffer greatly. Housing and property values drop, for starters. Which isn't great for anyone living/buying in the city.

Thanks, Trump.