Federal Judge Blocks Texas’ Ban on ‘Sanctuary Cities’

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
HOUSTON — A federal judge in San Antonio on Wednesday blocked Texas from enforcing its ban on so-called sanctuary cities, questioning the constitutionality of a law that has pitted Republican state leaders against several Democratic-leaning cities.

The judge’s ruling was only temporary, and prevents the law from taking effect on Friday while a suit against it goes forward. But the decision served as a legal blow to one of the toughest state-issued immigration laws in the country and puts the brakes on a measure backed by the Trump administration that critics had called anti-Latino. The law has become so divisive that it served as the backdrop of a shoving match at the Texas Capitol between Hispanic Democratic lawmakers and their white Republican colleagues.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/30/us/judge-texas-sanctuary-cities.html?mcubz=1

and , guess what? Abbott says he plans to appeal this ruling. That's right, in case it hasn't penetrated, people are afraid that if they asked for assistance they'll be deported. I'm sorry Texas, but your Governor seems like a real ass hole. Human life should come first. Not your partisan, bigoted .and unconstitutional . political stunts. Because of him homeowners may have their flood insurance claims denied because of a law that goes into effect this Friday.

Reactions: 1 person
Dec 2015
In Your Heart!
That is a wonderful ruling! KUDOS to Judge Garcia! Whether you are religious or not what Jesus said about helping one's fellow man and opening your heart to LOVE them as well as your home (your city) to house them still stands! Only a cold, black, immoral heart would not want to allow those most in need to have sanctuary cities. And there are many of those, mainly from the opposite side of the aisle from ours. I would say their conscience will bother them in not helping those most in need. But then again, What Conscience would we be talking about? They haven't any.

Jul 2014
Border Fence
HOUSTON — A federal judge in San Antonio on Wednesday blocked Texas from enforcing its ban on so-called sanctuary cities, questioning the constitutionality of a law that has pitted Republican state leaders against several Democratic-leaning cities.

The judge’s ruling was only temporary, and prevents the law from taking effect on Friday while a suit against it goes forward. But the decision served as a legal blow to one of the toughest state-issued immigration laws in the country and puts the brakes on a measure backed by the Trump administration that critics had called anti-Latino. The law has become so divisive that it served as the backdrop of a shoving match at the Texas Capitol between Hispanic Democratic lawmakers and their white Republican colleagues.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/30/us/judge-texas-sanctuary-cities.html?mcubz=1

and , guess what? Abbott says he plans to appeal this ruling. That's right, in case it hasn't penetrated, people are afraid that if they asked for assistance they'll be deported. I'm sorry Texas, but your Governor seems like a real ass hole. Human life should come first. Not your partisan, bigoted .and unconstitutional . political stunts. Because of him homeowners may have their flood insurance claims denied because of a law that goes into effect this Friday.
My Signature says it all.

There is the abstract...and then there is realty.

TNVolunteer73

Former Staff
Nov 2014
TN
Your boy has until Oct to get his Muslim ban together. The 90 days and the Supreme Court are back in Oct.
the Muslim pause in immigration is in effect today.. oops. 43 Muslim nations can immigrate, 6 cannot.. ROFLMBO.. THE 90 DAY PAUSE ends sept 16th.

Thomas and the Supremes smacked down the 9th Circus' (the most overturned court in the US) stay... they will have a full hearing in October, but that will be after the 90 day pause.

My God don't tell me you are that uninformed.. wait you just did.

Reactions: 1 person

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
That is a wonderful ruling! KUDOS to Judge Garcia! Whether you are religious or not what Jesus said about helping one's fellow man and opening your heart to LOVE them as well as your home (your city) to house them still stands! Only a cold, black, immoral heart would not want to allow those most in need to have sanctuary cities. And there are many of those, mainly from the opposite side of the aisle from ours. I would say their conscience will bother them in not helping those most in need. But then again, What Conscience would we be talking about? They haven't any.
I especially like this part...

“ascribes criminal and quasi-criminal penalties based upon violations of an inscrutable standard, in a manner that invites arbitrary and discriminatory enforcement against disfavored localities.”
Quite the prolific writer this Judge Garcia fella...no?