Federal judge orders Wisconsin to pay for gender reassignment surgeries

Jul 2014
Border Fence
Silliness. The taxpayer shouldn't be on the hook for elective surgeries.

A majority of States and a Federal judge disagree with your incorrect assessment of reassignment surgery and the State paying.

Wisconsin is one of 10 states that deny Medicaid coverage for gender transition, according to the lawsuit. Nineteen states explicitly cover such treatments, while the rest have no policy, the Journal Sentinel reported.
Federal judge orders Wisconsin to cover gender reassignment surgeries - Chicago Tribune

Have a nice day :._smile:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Jul 2014
Border Fence
Just a clarification on my part of the AP article. The article claims
the plaintiffs filed suit to get reassignment surgery to treat their Gender Dysphoria.

I don't know if that is a claim made by AP or in the actual filing. Im looking.

My understanding is that reassignment surgery is not a treatment for GD. My understanding is that RS can be the outcome of treating one's GD, but is not a treatment for GD.

Jun 2014
United States
Almost certainly. But that is not remotely the same thing.

Or is it? It is entirely possible that the transgender phenomenon is the result of some form of chimerism (perhaps tetragametic) such that the issue is one's brain chemistry, not merely psychological self-perception or some form of psychiatric disorder.

Yes. I'd say that's entirely possible. It is already known that some transgendered people who show no outward signs of being intersex do have significant deviations from the norm hidden within their genetic makeup.

Jul 2014
Border Fence
If you wanted a healthy limb, nose or ear cut off, you would be classed as mentally ill. But if you want your boobs or willy cut off......
Unfortunately the cartilage that makes your nose protrude from your head is not considered a sexual organ.

Your arm does not define your maleness.

Woman who have a genetic propensity to breast cancer do remove their breast muscle to keep from going cancerous without any detectable signs of cancer in the muscle.

Last edited:

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
The same facts you base your opinions on.
I have stated a multifaceted series of facts, none of which has stated a conclusory opinion. What you have said is not even close to anything I have said. You are not making sense.

Oct 2014
C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
Hm...

"Flack and Makenzie argued that the state rule denying them coverage for surgeries to treat their gender dysphoria..."

I am not quite sure I buy this. Gender dysphoria is a state of distress - a mental illness defined (in Wikipedia) as "the distress a person experiences as a result of the sex and gender they were assigned at birth. In this case, the assigned sex and gender do not match the person's gender identity..." Psychiatry.org defines it similarly. There is nothing physically wrong with the person; it is a psychological/psychiatric condition that not all transgendered persons necessarily experience.

While Medicaid should certainly finance psychological and psychiatric services, it is questionable whether sex reassignment surgery is not an elective surgery, but it would seem to be.

On the other hand, since this is a somewhat rare set of procedures anyway, the amount to be spent by the public is probably negligible in the larger scheme ... probably not even a blip on the budget, and it would seem to me we also have bigger problems than worrying about these few cases. We should probably just fund it and move on to real public finance problems.
1- I was thread banned on 3 separate occasions, one of those times was an instant 3 week site ban for making virtually identical comments. (Deemed trolling and in the last instance was called hate speech)

2- it is a temporary condition in the vast majority of cases, where gender reassignment is quite a bit more permanent.

Jun 2014
United States
1- I was thread banned on 3 separate occasions, one of those times was an instant 3 week site ban for making virtually identical comments. (Deemed trolling and in the last instance was called hate speech)

Really? Link to the "virtually identical comments"?

Apr 2018
oregon
I have stated a multifaceted series of facts, none of which has stated a conclusory opinion. What you have said is not even close to anything I have said. You are not making sense.
You have stated opinions. I have stated opinions.