Federal judge orders Wisconsin to pay for gender reassignment surgeries

Jul 2014
Border Fence
Doubtful. The suicide rates and depression among that group is very high.

And DNA says a mans is still a man, and a woman is still a woman, no matter what butchery doctors may perform on them.
I don't have to ask you to provide a link to a study or research because none exists. There may be theories on the subject..but no scientific research.

Have a nice day. :._smile:
This addresses transgendered persons rather than post-op transsexuals, but it is not nothing, either.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5178031/

However, the exact prevalence of completed suicide among transgender persons remain undocumented;
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5178031/

I understand the difference in an interview study and research.

Last edited:
Nov 2008
Washington state
Hm...

"Flack and Makenzie argued that the state rule denying them coverage for surgeries to treat their gender dysphoria..."

I am not quite sure I buy this. Gender dysphoria is a state of distress - a mental illness defined (in Wikipedia) as "the distress a person experiences as a result of the sex and gender they were assigned at birth. In this case, the assigned sex and gender do not match the person's gender identity..." Psychiatry.org defines it similarly. There is nothing physically wrong with the person; it is a psychological/psychiatric condition that not all transgendered persons necessarily experience.

While Medicaid should certainly finance psychological and psychiatric services, it is questionable whether sex reassignment surgery is not an elective surgery, but it would seem to be.

On the other hand, since this is a somewhat rare set of procedures anyway, the amount to be spent by the public is probably negligible in the larger scheme ... probably not even a blip on the budget, and it would seem to me we also have bigger problems than worrying about these few cases. We should probably just fund it and move on to real public finance problems.
If I said this I would be called a Bigot. Surprised, this is logical

Jul 2014
Border Fence
If I said this I would be called a Bigot. Surprised, this is logical
I've never heard you say anything remotely salient as what Ian just posted. Why do you believe anything Ian posted would be concurrent with with your beliefs.

Firstly, Ian correctly pointed out that sex reassignment surgery is not a treatment for dysphoria. The article is in error in inferring it is.

Secondly, Ian was correct that the incident of sex reassignment surgeries are still few as not to be cost prohibitive to Medicaid.

In conclusion, whether a person has or does not have dysphoria is not the only determining factor on whether that person is referred to have reassignment surgery. Whether a person has reassignment surgery is dependent on the person and their clinicians.

Reactions: 1 person
Nov 2008
Washington state
I've never heard you say anything remotely salient as what Ian just posted. Why do you believe anything Ian posted would be concurrent with with your beliefs.

Firstly, Ian correctly pointed out that sex reassignment surgery is not a treatment for dysphoria. The article is in error in inferring it is.

Secondly, Ian was correct that the incident of sex reassignment surgeries are still few as not to be cost prohibitive to Medicaid.

In conclusion, whether a person has or does not have dysphoria is not the only determining factor on whether that person is referred to have reassignment surgery. Whether a person has reassignment surgery is dependent on the person and their clinicians.
I agree with what he posted, why are you arguing with me? Its not a matter of what was said as , Who said it, was my point. If a Conservative made those points he or she would be labeled a "Bigot".

Jul 2014
Border Fence
I agree with what he posted, why are you arguing with me? Its not a matter of what was said as , Who said it, was my point. If a Conservative made those points he or she would be labeled a "Bigot".
How? It does not in any way align with a bigoted view. In fact it is an un-bigoted view.

Maybe you believe all transgendered people have dysphoria. They do not. Dysphoria is an anxiety one has with the outside pressures transgender folk go through as they decide to live as a different gender.

The mental illness is the anxiety...not the choice to live as a different gender.

Transgerderism is not a mental illness.

Nov 2008
Washington state
How? It does not in any way align with a bigoted view. In fact it is an un-bigoted view.

Maybe you believe all transgendered people have dysphoria. They do not. Dysphoria is an anxiety one has with the outside pressures transgender folk go through as they decide to live as a different gender.

The mental illness is the anxiety...not the choice to live as a different gender.

Transgerderism is not a mental illness.
Does reassignment surgery solve the problem? If it does then the surgery should be done. My point is this, is it politically correct to assume the surgery will solve the problem or not?

Jul 2014
Border Fence
Does reassignment surgery solve the problem? If it does then the surgery should be done. My point is this, is it politically correct to assume the surgery will solve the problem or not?
Reassignment surgery is not to solve any 'problems'. There is no 'problem'. A transgendered person's birth gender is not broken.

The surgery is self-explanatory. Reassignment.

People and parents have been assigning gender to children whose gender was in question for centuries.

Reassignment surgery allows the affected to live the gender they believe they were born to.

Nov 2008
Washington state
Reassignment surgery is not to solve any 'problems'. There is no 'problem'. A transgendered person's birth gender is not broken.

The surgery is self-explanatory. Reassignment.

People and parents have been assigning gender to children whose gender was in question for centuries.

Reassignment surgery allows the affected to live the gender they believe they were born to.
If its not a health problem, do you think society should fund reassignment surgery because someone feels like they are another sex?

Dec 2006
required field
OMG there's soooo much to tackle in this thread right now

And you all have hearsay and literally zero personal experience with what you're talking about

I can't even

*faceclaws herself into an early grave*