Federal Medical Marijuana Program?

One

Former Staff
Dec 2006
----> X <----
'Legal pot' program from US gov't stirs up legalization debate
EUGENE, Ore. (AP) — Sometime after midnight on a moonlit rural Oregon highway, a state trooper checking a car he had just pulled over found less than an ounce of pot on one passenger: A chatty 72-year-old woman blind in one eye.
She insisted the weed was legal and was approved by the U.S. government.
The trooper and his supervisor were doubtful. But after a series of calls to the U.S. Attorney's Office, the Drug Enforcement Agency and her physician, the troopers handed her back the card — and her pot.
For the past three decades, Uncle Sam has been providing a handful of patients with some of the highest grade marijuana around. The program grew out of a 1976 court settlement that created the country's first legal pot smoker

'Legal pot' program from US gov't stirs up legalization debate | Local & Regional | KATU.com - Portland News, Sports, Traffic Weather and Breaking News - Portland, Oregon

This is the first I have heard of this. But seriously, why does the Fed Gov. have a prorblem with states doing this when they have been giving pot to medical patients? Do they just not like competition?

Chief

Former Staff
Nov 2009
SoCal
EUGENE, Ore. (AP) — Sometime after midnight on a moonlit rural Oregon highway, a state trooper checking a car he had just pulled over found less than an ounce of pot on one passenger: A chatty 72-year-old woman blind in one eye.
The trooper and his supervisor were doubtful. But after a series of calls to the U.S. Attorney's Office, the Drug Enforcement Agency and her physician, the troopers handed her back the card — and her pot.
For the past three decades, Uncle Sam has been providing a handful of patients with some of the highest grade marijuana around. The program grew out of a 1976 court settlement that created the country's first legal pot smoker

'Legal pot' program from US gov't stirs up legalization debate | Local & Regional | KATU.com - Portland News, Sports, Traffic Weather and Breaking News - Portland, Oregon

This is the first I have heard of this. But seriously, why does the Fed Gov. have a prorblem with states doing this when they have been giving pot to medical patients? Do they just not like competition?
I don't think they're worried about competition since the Federal program only has 4 customers.

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Weirdo

Its complex but with these people they were grandfathered in when the law changed.

michaelr

Former Staff
Dec 2006
FEMA Region 10
Its real stuff... program has been going on for decades
This is the first I heard of it.

I took a pain pill yesterday, a Percocet. At about 5:30 I went to put one of my cameras away. About an hour later my wife come to find me. That shit passed me out on the floor. I do pain pills often, I just don't get along with them. I can't smoke pot either. The state allows it but the feds don't and I don't want to break the law.

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Weirdo
This is the first I heard of it.

I took a pain pill yesterday, a Percocet. At about 5:30 I went to put one of my cameras away. About an hour later my wife come to find me. That shit passed me out on the floor. I do pain pills often, I just don't get along with them. I can't smoke pot either. The state allows it but the feds don't and I don't want to break the law.
When pot makes you do that all that happens is you feel like you got a good deal. No liver damage or anything.

Reactions: sparsely

Sparta

Former Staff
Aug 2006
Connecticut
Warning this product has been known to cause side-effects:

Happy, Hungry, Sleepy

Reactions: sparsely

michaelr

Former Staff
Dec 2006
FEMA Region 10
Dude you're willing to risk taking that shit just because the government says you can't smoke some weed? Screw those hypocrites.
I sometimes smoke a little pot but very rarely. I raise my granddaughter, and breaking the law isn't really an option. Neither are percocets. Pain sucks!