Feds uncover large scale college entrance exam cheating plot

Sep 2013
On a hill
And? What does "liberal" have to do with anything, again on the actual topic?

Several universities are implicated and again, have no idea outside a couple of people what their political ideology is.

I guess it's just to much to ask of you just to say - this is a really crappy thing for rich parents to do. And the same of the college administrators who went along with it.

I just read where USC fired their head coach of the Water Polo team for being involved. I know for sure he is not a "liberal".
Its a story about how the wealthy are able to buy advantages for their kids, and do so without moral consideration.

Sep 2013
On a hill
OMG. Austin is a university town. The town has always been liberal. The university is liberal.
In regard to is it a crappy thing to do...sure is. Totally agree. But rich come from both sides of the aisle. The sick part is these liberal universities are involved in this And it is sick.

I have a granddaughter in her third year in college has gone on Grants and loans totally...straight A student and we are very proud of her. So don't talk to me about this crap. BTW your USC, UCLA and Stanford are involved in this.
condoleezza rice is a professor at stanford - how liberal is that?

Rasselas

Former Staff
Feb 2010
valid location
Wow! Turned it into a TDS Fueled© thread in the OP! And Trump has nothing to do with the OP but there we are.

Most of those charged are probably bit donors to the Dims Party. See how it works?

College has long been a liberal left scam anyway. Piling more and more debt on young people, and their parents taking out home equity loans or second mortgages, and very often for useless degrees.

Since the 1980's many BA's are seen as a joke and to get a good position you were told, nice, now go get a Masters degree. Yeah, most BA's were a joke decades ago. Yet almost all colleges are run by the left so the scam continues, with the newest twist being a demand for free college, almost entirely from the left of course.
The scams are private colleges and universities. Pretty much any undergrad degree from a traditional college or university, regardless of major, will increase a student's lifetime income. If you want to reduce college indebtedness, you should encourage states to increase funding to higher ed.

Rasselas

Former Staff
Feb 2010
valid location
BTW, a BA from Yale or Stanford is not a joke. But the whole deal with the Ivies and their near competitors is that getting in is the big deal. For most of higher education, it's commencement that matters. For the top schools, it's matriculation.

Jan 2016
Colorado
Ms. Blueneck,

There is a huge difference. For example, look at our Supreme Court. Every justice, almost to a one over the past 50 years, with the exception of Marshall, Rehnquist, O'Conner, and Stevens, graduated from Harvard, Yale, and Columbia law schools. Because of this, prestigious law firms will hire you, whereas they won't even look at a resume from Notre Dame or University of Michigan.

By attending Stanford, you will be socializing and networking with tomorrow's tech shakers and movers. The same cannot be said of Fresno State.

And MBA from Harvard will open doors on wall street, whereas one from Auburn will send you packing.

An Engineering degree from University of Chicago or MIT or Carnegie Mellon will guarantee 6 figures starting pay in one of the large, multinational construction companies, whereas one from University of Colorado will give you an internship at a small local CE company.
Bullshit. You have NO IDEA what you are talking about, Kallie. The University of Colorado has one of the TOP-RATED Departments of Aerospace Engineering in the ENTIRE COUNTRY. The linked ranking has them ranked 6th in the country. The state of Colorado is a hotbed of the aerospace industry. The entire Front Range of Colorado has the highest percentage of science-based jobs in America. I have personally sent students to both the University of Colorado and the Colorado School of Mines, and they have graduated with degrees in engineering, and IMMEDIATELY landed six-figure jobs with such firms as Lockheed-Martin. Which has many facilities located here in Colorado.

The Best Aerospace & Aeronautical Engineering Schools

Jan 2016
Colorado
That is the issue. Just because you get into Harvard doesn't necessarily mean you will finish Harvard. You have to perform to stay in. If a student has to buy their way in and are not academically prepared, they won't be successful. I admire your chosen profession. You are serving humanity and that is a good feeling. You are also the backbone of healthcare...without you, no one can do their jobs. It would be a honor to be on your team...you have a good heart. :) I noticed that you are getting a new hip!! Hang in there...you will be doing the "floss" sooner than you think!!

I don't really 'buy' this argument. I have heard that there is so much grade inflation these days at Harvard that the AVERAGE grade there is an A-.

Let me say that again: The AVERAGE grade at Harvard is an A-.

Think about that.

That says that VERY few students 'flunk out' of Harvard. Once you get in, show up to a minimal number of classes, take the tests, and I guess you're gonna get a nice Harvard degree. Of some kind.

Think about that, and then recall that it was revealed that George W. Bush's grade point average at Harvard was a C-.

Ouch.

Sep 2013
On a hill
I don't really 'buy' this argument. I have heard that there is so much grade inflation these days at Harvard that the AVERAGE grade there is an A-.

Let me say that again: The AVERAGE grade at Harvard is an A-.

Think about that.

That says that VERY few students 'flunk out' of Harvard. Once you get in, show up to a minimal number of classes, take the tests, and I guess you're gonna get a nice Harvard degree. Of some kind.

Think about that, and then recall that it was revealed that George W. Bush's grade point average at Harvard was a C-.

Ouch.
Harvard took George in after he was rejected by the University of Texas.