Feeding the Frenzy - Have the Democrats Run Out of Ads and Twitter Outrages ?

Dec 2015
SoCal
Ironically, Pat Buchanan is probably the closest thing to Trump on the national scene before Trump. Buchanan ran for president based on a novel anti-globalist, anti-free-trade take on Republican politics. But Buchanan lacked Trump's "special sauce." He still communicated his bigotry in traditional Republican dog whistles, rather than the naked hatred used by Trump. Without the catharsis of open misogyny, racism, and religious prejudice, the anti-globalist schtick doesn't have enough kick even to make a candidate competitive in a Republican primary, much less to win the whole thing. At this point, Buchanan is probably stewing that he didn't let his freak flag fly the way Trump has. Maybe if Buchanan had been as open with his hatreds as Trump is, he'd have been president.
It would be a horribly distasteful choice, but I'd take Buchanan over Trump each day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Yeah, I don't know. Trump was still claiming that the 'REAL' unemployment rate was 40% (!!) and people actually BELIEVED him! They didn't BELIEVE those reported unemployment rates of under 4% in Wisconsin! And there ARE a lot of Americans who have gone from relatively high-paying manufacturing jobs to lower-paying service sector jobs. All of THOSE economic anxieties are still out there. I only heard Trump mention the 'Merry Christmas' thing a few times on the campaign trail. I heard him talk about unemployment like, ALL the time!!
Dont forget Bernie Sanders said that first. He was rallying on about 40% unemployment early in the campaign. Trump just took it from him same as he did NAFTA and TPP so he had no talking points left unless he wanted to agree with Trump.

Sep 2017
Massachusetts
Yeah, I don't know. Trump was still claiming that the 'REAL' unemployment rate was 40% (!!) and people actually BELIEVED him! They didn't BELIEVE those reported unemployment rates of under 4% in Wisconsin! And there ARE a lot of Americans who have gone from relatively high-paying manufacturing jobs to lower-paying service sector jobs. All of THOSE economic anxieties are still out there. I only heard Trump mention the 'Merry Christmas' thing a few times on the campaign trail. I heard him talk about unemployment like, ALL the time!!
I heard him talk about cultural wedge issues all the time --especially the supposed epidemic of (black) crime-- and he gave relatively little voice to the economy. Go back and read the transcript for his convention speech, for example. He did bring up jobs -- sandwiched amidst other issues:

"This Administration has failed America’s inner cities. It’s failed them on education. It’s failed them on jobs. It’s failed them on crime. It’s failed them at every level."

However, those passing mentions were lost in a flood of scare-mongering about crime, immigrants, and racial minorities:

"These are the facts:

Decades of progress made in bringing down crime are now being reversed by this Administration’s rollback of criminal enforcement.

Homicides last year increased by 17% in America’s fifty largest cities. That’s the largest increase in 25 years. In our nation’s capital, killings have risen by 50 percent. They are up nearly 60% in nearby Baltimore.

In the President’s hometown of Chicago, more than 2,000 have been the victims of shootings this year alone. And more than 3,600 have been killed in the Chicago area since he took office.

The number of police officers killed in the line of duty has risen by almost 50% compared to this point last year. Nearly 180,000 illegal immigrants with criminal records, ordered deported from our country, are tonight roaming free to threaten peaceful citizens.

The number of new illegal immigrant families who have crossed the border so far this year already exceeds the entire total from 2015. They are being released by the tens of thousands into our communities with no regard for the impact on public safety or resources.

One such border-crosser was released and made his way to Nebraska. There, he ended the life of an innocent young girl named Sarah Root. She was 21 years-old, and was killed the day after graduating from college with a 4.0 Grade Point Average. Her killer was then released a second time, and he is now a fugitive from the law.

I’ve met Sarah’s beautiful family. But to this Administration, their amazing daughter was just one more American life that wasn’t worth protecting. One more child to sacrifice on the altar of open borders....."

I don't know whether the primacy he gave to those issues was because he knew that, as a simple matter of fact, economic conditions were drastically better than they'd been four or eight years earlier, so he wasn't going to get far with economic talk, or whether he mostly focused on the other stuff because it resonates with him, personally. But, whatever the reason, it's clear where he put the emphasis. From the moment he descended that escalator bleating about Mexican rapists, to the last days of the campaign chanting "lock her up" he was a culture-war candidate, not an economic one.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
I heard him talk about cultural wedge issues all the time --especially the supposed epidemic of (black) crime-- and he gave relatively little voice to the economy. Go back and read the transcript for his convention speech, for example. He did bring up jobs -- sandwiched amidst other issues:

"This Administration has failed America’s inner cities. It’s failed them on education. It’s failed them on jobs. It’s failed them on crime. It’s failed them at every level."

However, those passing mentions were lost in a flood of scare-mongering about crime, immigrants, and racial minorities:

"These are the facts:

Decades of progress made in bringing down crime are now being reversed by this Administration’s rollback of criminal enforcement.

Homicides last year increased by 17% in America’s fifty largest cities. That’s the largest increase in 25 years. In our nation’s capital, killings have risen by 50 percent. They are up nearly 60% in nearby Baltimore.

In the President’s hometown of Chicago, more than 2,000 have been the victims of shootings this year alone. And more than 3,600 have been killed in the Chicago area since he took office.

The number of police officers killed in the line of duty has risen by almost 50% compared to this point last year. Nearly 180,000 illegal immigrants with criminal records, ordered deported from our country, are tonight roaming free to threaten peaceful citizens.

The number of new illegal immigrant families who have crossed the border so far this year already exceeds the entire total from 2015. They are being released by the tens of thousands into our communities with no regard for the impact on public safety or resources.

One such border-crosser was released and made his way to Nebraska. There, he ended the life of an innocent young girl named Sarah Root. She was 21 years-old, and was killed the day after graduating from college with a 4.0 Grade Point Average. Her killer was then released a second time, and he is now a fugitive from the law.

I’ve met Sarah’s beautiful family. But to this Administration, their amazing daughter was just one more American life that wasn’t worth protecting. One more child to sacrifice on the altar of open borders....."

I don't know whether the primacy he gave to those issues was because he knew that, as a simple matter of fact, economic conditions were drastically better than they'd been four or eight years earlier, so he wasn't going to get far with economic talk, or whether he mostly focused on the other stuff because it resonates with him, personally. But, whatever the reason, it's clear where he put the emphasis. From the moment he descended that escalator bleating about Mexican rapists, to the last days of the campaign chanting "lock her up" he was a culture-war candidate, not an economic one.
I also think his complete support for law enforcement was well timed. His campaign was talking about it right as the "blue ribbon campaign" was going around. Anyone with police ties might have supported Trump for that reason as well.