Feeding the Frenzy - Have the Democrats Run Out of Ads and Twitter Outrages ?

Sep 2017
Massachusetts
I also think his complete support for law enforcement was well timed. His campaign was talking about it right as the "blue ribbon campaign" was going around. Anyone with police ties might have supported Trump for that reason as well.
I think the left tends to play into Republican political strategies unwittingly. For example, the big push for gay marriage happened in 2004, really kicking off when gay marriage became legal in Massachusetts that year. The timing couldn't have been worse for Kerry. He wound up, in the minds of the bigoted majority, associated with what they saw as a radical and frightening change. Of course, Massachusetts was on the right side of history there, and a clear majority of Americans have now, belatedly, realized that, and they support gay marriage (as, by the way, I have since the early 1990s). But in 2004, it may well have pushed enough bigots into Bush's camp to win him the election. And Black Lives Matter probably played a similar role for Trump. They may well be on the right side of history, but having that kind of controversy in the lead up to a presidential election helps to push racists into the Republican camp.... and, sadly, it's hard to win an election in America without the vote of quite a few racists. Hillary Clinton became, in the minds of a lot of bigots, the anti-police candidate.

Jan 2016
Colorado
Dont forget Bernie Sanders said that first. He was rallying on about 40% unemployment early in the campaign. Trump just took it from him same as he did NAFTA and TPP so he had no talking points left unless he wanted to agree with Trump.
Trump did not 'take' his anti-NAFTA campaign theme from Bernie Sanders! Trump has been ranting against international trade agreements for DECADES! If there is ONE common theme to Donald Trump's ideology that has been clear for at LEAST the past 20 years, if not 30, it is his antipathy to international trade, and his belief that America is constantly getting CHEATED by our trading partners. He has been expressing these views since at least the early 1990's.

Jan 2016
Colorado
I heard him talk about cultural wedge issues all the time --especially the supposed epidemic of (black) crime-- and he gave relatively little voice to the economy. Go back and read the transcript for his convention speech, for example. He did bring up jobs -- sandwiched amidst other issues:

"This Administration has failed America’s inner cities. It’s failed them on education. It’s failed them on jobs. It’s failed them on crime. It’s failed them at every level."

However, those passing mentions were lost in a flood of scare-mongering about crime, immigrants, and racial minorities:

"These are the facts:

Decades of progress made in bringing down crime are now being reversed by this Administration’s rollback of criminal enforcement.

Homicides last year increased by 17% in America’s fifty largest cities. That’s the largest increase in 25 years. In our nation’s capital, killings have risen by 50 percent. They are up nearly 60% in nearby Baltimore.

In the President’s hometown of Chicago, more than 2,000 have been the victims of shootings this year alone. And more than 3,600 have been killed in the Chicago area since he took office.

The number of police officers killed in the line of duty has risen by almost 50% compared to this point last year. Nearly 180,000 illegal immigrants with criminal records, ordered deported from our country, are tonight roaming free to threaten peaceful citizens.

The number of new illegal immigrant families who have crossed the border so far this year already exceeds the entire total from 2015. They are being released by the tens of thousands into our communities with no regard for the impact on public safety or resources.

One such border-crosser was released and made his way to Nebraska. There, he ended the life of an innocent young girl named Sarah Root. She was 21 years-old, and was killed the day after graduating from college with a 4.0 Grade Point Average. Her killer was then released a second time, and he is now a fugitive from the law.

I’ve met Sarah’s beautiful family. But to this Administration, their amazing daughter was just one more American life that wasn’t worth protecting. One more child to sacrifice on the altar of open borders....."

I don't know whether the primacy he gave to those issues was because he knew that, as a simple matter of fact, economic conditions were drastically better than they'd been four or eight years earlier, so he wasn't going to get far with economic talk, or whether he mostly focused on the other stuff because it resonates with him, personally. But, whatever the reason, it's clear where he put the emphasis. From the moment he descended that escalator bleating about Mexican rapists, to the last days of the campaign chanting "lock her up" he was a culture-war candidate, not an economic one.
Crime is BOTH a cultural issue AND an economic issue. If he had said anything about 'the War on Christmas' in his convention speech, I think you'd have a much stronger point. Because that would be a much more purely cultural issue. Immigration is ALSO a commingled cultural/economic issue. MANY Americans are against immigration, and in particular illegal immigration, because they believe it is driving down WAGES! That MAKES it an economic issue!

Jan 2016
Colorado
I think the left tends to play into Republican political strategies unwittingly. For example, the big push for gay marriage happened in 2004, really kicking off when gay marriage became legal in Massachusetts that year. The timing couldn't have been worse for Kerry. He wound up, in the minds of the bigoted majority, associated with what they saw as a radical and frightening change. Of course, Massachusetts was on the right side of history there, and a clear majority of Americans have now, belatedly, realized that, and they support gay marriage (as, by the way, I have since the early 1990s). But in 2004, it may well have pushed enough bigots into Bush's camp to win him the election. And Black Lives Matter probably played a similar role for Trump. They may well be on the right side of history, but having that kind of controversy in the lead up to a presidential election helps to push racists into the Republican camp.... and, sadly, it's hard to win an election in America without the vote of quite a few racists. Hillary Clinton became, in the minds of a lot of bigots, the anti-police candidate.
See, and Trump really avoided the gay marriage issue for the most part in his campaign, so that was ONE cultural issue he studiously avoided. And he bungled and bumbled his way around on the abortion issue, at one point shocking just about EVERYONE by suggesting that women who get an abortion should be PUNISHED for that......and then backtracking, rather hastily, on that. But yes, on the race issue, and on the police issue, Trump appealed to all the worst bigots in America, and that helped him in 2016.

Sep 2017
Massachusetts
Crime is BOTH a cultural issue AND an economic issue. If he had said anything about 'the War on Christmas' in his convention speech, I think you'd have a much stronger point. Because that would be a much more purely cultural issue. Immigration is ALSO a commingled cultural/economic issue. MANY Americans are against immigration, and in particular illegal immigration, because they believe it is driving down WAGES! That MAKES it an economic issue!
I don't believe the primary concern is that immigration drives down wages. If you listen to complaints about immigration, they pretty much never cite any evidence suggesting it drives down wages. Instead, it focuses primarily on immigrants who commit crime (especially any crimes committed against white women). Secondarily, it focuses on the idea that immigrants are a burden on taxpayers. And third, it focuses a bit on the horrors of --gasp-- possibly hearing a language besides English during the course of the day. And that anti-immigrant sentiment really thrives in places with low immigrant populations. You don't hear much of it in, say, Massachusetts, where a large share of the population was born abroad. Instead, it's an obsession of xenophobes in middle America, among the same kinds of people who can't stand anyone who fails to fit in with their tribe, even, say, native-born homosexuals.

Jan 2016
Colorado
I don't believe the primary concern is that immigration drives down wages. If you listen to complaints about immigration, they pretty much never cite any evidence suggesting it drives down wages. Instead, it focuses primarily on immigrants who commit crime (especially any crimes committed against white women). Secondarily, it focuses on the idea that immigrants are a burden on taxpayers. And third, it focuses a bit on the horrors of --gasp-- possibly hearing a language besides English during the course of the day. And that anti-immigrant sentiment really thrives in places with low immigrant populations. You don't hear much of it in, say, Massachusetts, where a large share of the population was born abroad. Instead, it's an obsession of xenophobes in middle America, among the same kinds of people who can't stand anyone who fails to fit in with their tribe, even, say, native-born homosexuals.
Wait, what? Taxation isn't an economic issue?!? Since when??

There is a poster here on PH---whose posting name I am momentarily forgetting---whose number one THEME is immigration. And the presumed effect on wages and how immigrants are a burden on taxpayers are, indeed, the focus of his concerns. As soon as I recall his name, I will send out a call to him.

Jan 2016
1984, all over again
Politics goes in cycles.

Been that way a long time.

I don't see that changing anytime soon...

HA HA Jimmy Kimmel gets a paltry 2 million viewers a nite.

Identity Politics failed for the Democrat Party and Hollywood.

(use the bathroom of your choosing) :)

Colbert, Corden and Fallon ran out of BS, as did CNN, NBC, CBS,

they can't scare enough viewers into watching,

the FEAR CAMPAIGN ..... BY DEMOCRAT, MEDIA ELITES ....EPIC FAIL.

SUCK IT HOLLYWOOD

Feb 2011
The formerly great golden state

SUCK IT HOLLYWOOD

Late night comics will never run out of material as long as Trump is president.

May 2013
N Oregon Coast

SUCK IT HOLLYWOOD

The late night guys and SLN's ratings have skyrocketed since the Orange Psychopath was installed by Putin and Comey.

And MSNBC is outperforming Fox in the coveted and key 25-54 demographic.

2 million is paltry? LoL!! :lol: